Very low compression on my 1988 Mercruiser

mbv

Recruit
My friend gave me a boat with a 1988 Mercruiser inboard I can't get it started. Compression is low (25, 50, 100, 50). Boat's been in dry dock for about 3yrs. I've changed the plugs, and the coil. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Very low compression on my 1988 Mercruiser

My friend gave me a boat with a 1988 Mercruiser inboard I can't get it started. Compression is low (25, 50, 100, 50). Boat's been in dry dock for about 3yrs. I've changed the plugs, and the coil. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Sounds like it's time for another motor, or rebuild that 1,...

slothman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

let me ask you....is this is a GOOD compression tester? I have seen old/junky testers give faulty results. Just worth a shot to buy a nice new one, before dumping tons of money in the motor.....BTW...drain the oil and look for metal shavings. and check the filter. If it's sparkling...the pistons or bearings are shot and it's time for a rebuild...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Thanks.

May I direct you to -> Please Read This Before Posting A Question...-> How to Ask a Question....

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats! There could be a number of problems based on you description, first being "Boat gave to ya". Worst problem would be wore out, but if it set for a long time I would change the oil and crank it with the valve cover off. Observer the rockers / valves and make sure they are moving up and down. Ridged valve travel would be your best scenario regarding those compression numbers. You may also want to check for spark.

cr2k

Captain

Head gasket, cracked block, collapsed lifters, worn out. Lots of things it could be, Free Boat should have thrown a big red flag in your face.