97 3.0lx merc bogs out at full throttle

Impalaheaven

Recruit
The boat will idle just fine and will pick up a little speed...5mph to 10mph. Then when I put it full throttle or accelerate it bogs and will stay in the bogging stage and wont pick up anymore speed. I changed all filters plugs, cap, rotor. Rebuilt the carb at a shop. Premium gas. It's fine with me and my wife anymore people it will not plane or go past 10 mph Please help.

Last edited:

slothman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 97 3.0lx merc bogs out at full throttle

Still seems like a fuel issue. Possibly the fuel pump, or clogged fuel line.

Impalaheaven

Recruit

I've had my wife driving while i was tinkering around and the carb was getting a lot of gas

Bondo

Staff member

The boat will idle just fine and will pick up a little speed...5mph to 10mph. Then when I put it full throttle or accelerate it bogs and will stay in the bogging stage and wont pick up anymore speed. I changed all filters plugs, cap, rotor. Rebuilt the carb at a shop. Premium gas. It's fine with me and my wife anymore people it will not plane or go past 10 mph Please help.

Ayuh,.... Did ya do a compression test,..??

Is the timin' advancin',..??

Impalaheaven

Recruit

No I didn't do a compression test but I did the timing and yes it's advancing the timing is on

alldodge

Staff member

If the throttle when moved is moving the carb linkage to full open and your geeting plenty of fuel, gueess its time for a compression test like Bond-o mentioned. You could pull a couple of plgs and see if they are getting real black do to to much fuel, but this could also tell you if they are all the same or different.