2003 3.0 Timing ok to turn off engine to add jumper and bypass shift interrupt?

schiker

Cadet
I read the directions and a couple of threads that say follow the directions exactly.

iirc it says to let it get to operating temp then step 3 or 4 install jumper and bypass shift interrupt and check timing.

Can you cut the engine off to do wiring then restart it to check timing or should wiring be done while engine running? Do you shut engine off to adjust timing or just loosen the distributor to adjust and move it with a little force. Then torque down when done.

And I assume you have to look at the timing mark from about 45 degrees so you are looking at it squarely to the tab. If I look directly down the angle is a bit different right.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 2003 3.0 Timing ok to turn off engine to add jumper and bypass shift interrupt?

I read the directions and a couple of threads that say follow the directions exactly.

iirc it says to let it get to operating temp then step 3 or 4 install jumper and bypass shift interrupt and check timing.

Can you cut the engine off to do wiring then restart it to check timing or should wiring be done while engine running? Do you shut engine off to adjust timing or just loosen the distributor to adjust and move it with a little force. Then torque down when done.

And I assume you have to look at the timing mark from about 45 degrees so you are looking at it squarely to the tab. If I look directly down the angle is a bit different right.

iirc (what is that????)

No, do the wiring changes/jumper/bypass with the engine running.
No, loosen the hold down clamp bolt and adjust the timing with the engine running, then torque down.
And yes, look squarely at the timing tab...

Chris.......

schiker

Cadet
Re: 2003 3.0 Timing ok to turn off engine to add jumper and bypass shift interrupt?

Sorry other forums I frequent use more short hand / abbreviations.

iirc stands for - If I Recall Correctly.

Thanks for the reply.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Sorry other forums I frequent use more short hand / abbreviations.

iirc stands for - If I Recall Correctly.

Thanks for the reply.

Not a problem... Just remember, old farts frequent this forum.. ;)