Quick Pertronix question (coil/module voltage)

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class
Someone please clarify this for me.

Installed the Pertronix unit on my 165 HP engine and connected the module wires right to the coil terminals (+ and -).

The boat starts and idles fine when cold. (when hot, it's a different story, again) Then I found out that there is definitely less than 12 Volts going to the coil because of the resistor wire, but the engine still works.

My question is I thought the module wouldn't work if it's not getting the full 12 volts ? Is this killing either it or the coil ?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Quick Pertronix question (coil/module voltage)

Someone please clarify this for me.

Installed the Pertronix unit on my 165 HP engine and connected the module wires right to the coil terminals (+ and -).

The boat starts and idles fine when cold. (when hot, it's a different story, again) Then I found out that there is definitely less than 12 Volts going to the coil because of the resistor wire, but the engine still works.

My question is I thought the module wouldn't work if it's not getting the full 12 volts ? Is this killing either it or the coil ?

Howdy,

Those Pertronix modules will work with very low voltage. The coil requires an inline dropping ("ballast") resistor if it's a 6v coiland originally was supposed to have an outboard resistor. (Some coils are designed to operate on 12v and either primary windings are wound with adequate resistance to prevent excessive current or they install an internal resistor)

Most people get the accessory Pertronix coil too.

If you didn't follow the installation instructions exactly or you don't have them, I would suggest you contact Pertronix tech support.

PerTronix Product Support

Regards,

Rick

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it a petronix 1 or 2? The advise will differ.

Did you replace the stock coil or are we using the same one?

Last edited:

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it a petronix 1 or 2? The advise will differ.

Did you replace the stock coil or are we using the same one?

It's a Petronix 1. Using the same "external ballast resistor" coil.

Just checked the voltage to it with key in ON position - 3 volts. Resistance between + and - is 1.5. Total amperage 2.0

Last edited:

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Voltage Test
1. Place ignition switch in the off position.
2. Do not disconnect any wires from ignition coil.
3. Connect voltmeter red lead to positive (+) terminal of coil and black lead to engine
ground.
4. Turn “ON” the ignition switch and note voltage reading. Quickly read voltage and turn ignition “off”.

Voltage:
Minimum, Normal, Maximum
Ignition Switch “ON”, Engine “off”: 8.0V, 11.5V, N/A
Engine Cranking: 8.0V, 9.6V or Greater, N/A
Engine Running: N/A, 14.2V, 16.0V

From what I have seen...nothing destroys a stock coil faster than leaving the ignition key on without the motor running.

Report back if your coil voltages are out of spec after testing. It sounds like a bad coil but it could also be a bad distributor ground or a bad + wire from the key. You can jump and ground the coil right off the battery to verify its not bad wiring.

If you do decide to replace the coil then you can replace with the same, or one with an internal resistor and rewire. (Points style coils only)

Last edited:

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

hivoltg, I followed the instructions on how to test the coil on the pertronix website. I used the same method you posted in steps 1-4. The results are what I posted previously.

The engine cranks and starts up beautifully when cold, but hard to start when hot. Just trying to eliminate the coil as the culprit. Read somewhere that these coils break down when hot which makes the boat hard to start again.

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it was me...I would replace the coil. I replaced mine with an internal resistor type and threw away that external resistor.

They are cheap and you can grab a compatible one from any autoparts store.

Easy to return if it doesn't solve the problem. Just dont scratch it up permanently mounting it till you verify.

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

OK you need a full 12V to the petronix module. You need to remove the red Petronix wire from the coil + and run it directly to a 12V source. I would suggest splicing a piece of stranded copper wire into the purple wire going to the electric choke connector (not the purple resistance wire) and connect it to the red Petronix wire. Use a solder connection and coat the splice with liquid tape.

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Threw a temp wire directly to positive side of the battery. made sure not to keep it that way without the engine running. problematic hot starts are a thing of the past. Case solved.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

It would be wise to find a switched 12V source. The Ignitor will be damaged if you forget and leave the wire hooked up (Ignitor II is protected).

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes. I just did the temp hookup to troubleshoot. All set. Thanks