Mercruiser or Quicksilver bellows

Goofysailer

Cadet
I need to do the bellows and gimbal bearing on my alpha 1 drive. Was just wondering what the difference is between the mercruy and quicksilver part. I ordered a hinge pin tool from the marina and the packaging was quicksilver. Is their a difference between the two because Dr.Google says mercury owns quicksilver and that they back quicksilver. Just curious cause this bellow/gimbal bearing job seems to be a PIA. Now I seem to be stuck with the shift cable nut....Looks like I have to order that tool also...

agallant80

Commander
Re: Mercruiser or Quicksilver bellows

Quicksilver is Mercruisers parts division. Same thing...

Bondo

Staff member

I need to do the bellows and gimbal bearing on my alpha 1 drive. Was just wondering what the difference is between the mercruy and quicksilver part. I ordered a hinge pin tool from the marina and the packaging was quicksilver. Is their a difference between the two because Dr.Google says mercury owns quicksilver and that they back quicksilver. Just curious cause this bellow/gimbal bearing job seems to be a PIA. Now I seem to be stuck with the shift cable nut....Looks like I have to order that tool also...

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Quicksilver, 'n Mercruiser are 1 in the same,...

The newer cables don't need the extended socket,.... so scratch buyin' that tool,...

If you get the factory OEM (Quicksliver) cable... DonS mentioned several times the plastic end guide unscrews to allow plenty of clearance to get at the nut.

Goofysailer

Cadet

Yea I was searching the forums and did see that. Will try that . I guess I will try to unscrew the white plastic tube that is in the bell housing now if that doesn't work I will just cut it as it will be replaced rather than strip the brass nut. Thanks everyone for the replies !

Goofysailer

Cadet

Yea I was searching the forums and did see that. Will try that . I guess I will try to unscrew the white plastic tube that is in the bell housing now if that doesn't work I will just cut it as it will be replaced rather than strip the brass nut. Thanks everyone for the replies !

Stripped the brass nut.... The white plastic tube did unscrew. Welded a 9/16 socket for nothing!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

where in nj? did you use a 6 point socket? Might be able to hammer on a metric 6 point and remove it that way.

Last edited:

Goofysailer

Cadet
Alpha 1 shift cable nut stripped

Alpha 1 shift cable nut stripped

Any thoughts on removing rounded shift cable nut. I sprayed it with penetrating spray for 3 days and gave it a try today and it won't budge. Just ended up stripping the brass nut. I see some posts that say drill it out. Do you drill from behind or through the front where the white plastic tube . I have taken the bell housing off. Last resort I might just take it to a mechanic/machine shop and ask them to do it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha 1 shift cable nut stripped

adh_zpsf796741c.jpg

Machinist Pipe Thread Tap - Drill Size Chart ANSI - Engineers Edge

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

pm me if you get jammed up with it, where in nj

Goofysailer

Cadet

Bastard of a nut won't come off. Have had it soaking in PB blaster and hit it with a smaller 6 point metric hammered it on and hit it with an impact gun and nothing. Soaking it again to give it one more try before drilling it out...

Bondo

Staff member

Bastard of a nut won't come off. Have had it soaking in PB blaster and hit it with a smaller 6 point metric hammered it on and hit it with an impact gun and nothing. Soaking it again to give it one more try before drilling it out...

Ayuh,.... Yer gettin' down to where ya either drill it out, 'n chase it with a tap, or replace the housin',...

Saltwater boat,..??

Goofysailer

Cadet

SUCCESS!! Soaked it all day in PB Blaster and hammered on a 1/2" socket and hit it with the impact wrench and the bastard came off!!shift cable.jpg

Now on to the Gimbal Bearing. Called the Marina today to order Transom Seal Kit and shift cable kit. I asked for exhaust tube, and the guy at the marina said if your boat came with exhaust bellows stick with bellows cause the tube won't fit. I was reading the other posts up about exhaust tubes vs bellows, and the service manual that I have even said to upgrade to tubes because of back pressure. The difference people stated was the noise and possible blackness on the transom from the exhaust. Is the parts guy at the marina right or are the replies on the posts right?

Goofysailer

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Yer gettin' down to where ya either drill it out, 'n chase it with a tap, or replace the housin',...

Saltwater boat,..??

Yes saltwater boat. You think I could coat the new shift cable threads with anti seize to help with replacement in the future?