1991 mercruiser 3.0 w Delco Est, ignition issue

EuroStar

Recruit
Hello all,
New member here, ive been activly reading some of your posts for over a year now, as i have a 1991 Starcraft eurostar 171 FS, ( Fiberglass ) bow rider, with an inline 4 gm motor with delco est ignition, and i must say that this is a pretty cool site. Thanks for all the info.
My problem this weekend has been a no start condition on my sweetheart.ugh
I have an extensive technical and mechanical background , familiar with high and low voltage power systems.
I have a seloc mercruiser manual that came with the boat , but the schematics are not upgraded it seems, to digital only thunderbolt and ddis, which my model is L not LX.
Ive had a late boating start this year, but, she was winterised 100% and put away dry.
I think i ha e a no spark condition at the dist. And NO i havnt checked for spark yet lol
Took a lot of tests , seems 12 v is everywhere it needs to be, batt is strong and it cranks over great, every thing electrical works great , ive seen a few schematics in files but wasnt able to download them till i became a member, just wondering if anyone can pass along some proper schematics for my ignition and maybe some helpfull tips would be greatly appreciated, just spent a few bucks on new cap rotoe, ( looked burned and worn) , and a.new wire set, going to install and see what happens, thanks for readi.g
Eurostar
Toronto ,Canada

Re: 1991 mercruiser 3.0 w Delco Est, ignition issue

Very simple way to see if your getting spark.

1. Do you have an extra spark plug laying around? If not pull one out from the head.
2. Leave the plug wire connected to the plug and dist.
3. Touch the threads of the plug to the ground of the engine. I use the engine lifting bracket by the thermostat.. Take a little sand paper to make sure you have a good ground.
4. Have someone crank it and you should see spark. If not check your voltage at the coil, Then we will go from there.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1991 mercruiser 3.0 w Delco Est, ignition issue

Check and make sure that the kill switch on your throttle control is in the RUN position. A simple mistake that i have made more than once.