Mercruiser 1 drive coming up on its own

ster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello folks,

I have a question for the masses. I have an old Merc 1 drive (165) that is having a weird trim / tilt problem. I have power trim and tilt with the 3 goofy button system. Everything works the way it should (sort of). The problem I'm having is while underway, up on plane, the drive creeps up by itself. I have to hit the down button repeatedly to keep it down. This suggests to me a leak obviously. The power pack is not running to cause this malfunction; I can hear it when it runs. There is no external leaking at all. Is there a check valve in the power pack that could be leaking? Anyone experienced this before? Thanks for your input!

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser 1 drive coming up on its own

could possibly be the hydraulic cylinders bad, does it trim down by itself when you have the out drive raised???

oldjeep

Admiral

Doesn't seem like a leak, seems like an electrical problem. If it was going up in reverse, then I'd say leak - but the force of the prop should be forcing the unit down when in a forward gear.

ster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Rs1 - no it doesn't. Which is why I didn't suspect a cylinder. It would be odd that it would leak only one way. Possible to be sure but odd. When the drive is all the way up, it stays there. Old jeep - this is why it's so weird. The hydraulic motor isn't running when this is happening. Well... Let me modify that statement a little. It's not running so I can hear it. I would think being under power would tend to run it down, I agree completely. You made me think about something though. Maybe the hydraulic motor is running slowly, as in a resistive short. Slow enough I can't hear it while underway but fast enough to run the drive up. I'm going back out on the lake on Wednesday. I'll just lower the drive all the way and unplug the power pack and see what happens. Stay tuned :)

ster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Meh. Turns out it was an indication problem. Drive wasn't actually moving. Thanks yall