1986 Four Winns with Mercruiser 140 3.0L Shifting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotraj

Recruit
Hi all,
This is my first boat and I am a newbie so I apologize up front for my ignorance.

Had the boat out 3 times this year, seemed to give me no trouble shifting from neutral to either forward or reverse. This last time out, we were unable to shift into forward gear. I could get reverse every time, but each time trying to get forward to engage, I would still be in neutral. On occasion, while moving from reverse, to neutral, then on to forward, the boat was still in reverse! So throttling forward sent us backwards!

I do have the installation and maintenance manuals and was reading through the cable adjustment sections. It seems that the control lever is causing the cables to actuate properly.

I had a second pair of hands at the prop (out of water and no power) and so we tried pulling the lower cable to engage reverse, the prop was locked when trying to rotate clockwise.

I then pushed the cable all the way in, attempting to engage forward gear, the prop does not catch and still spins freely. On occasion (we tried switching from forward to reverse and back several times to see if would ever engage) and we did hear a faint clicking noise one time. Perhaps the gear being close to engaging?

Is this just the far end of the lower cable being damaged, and is that something I can tackle (I am fairly handy), or something much more serious that I should take in for?

Any thoughts or ideas welcome!

Thanks,
Jason

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1986 Four Winns with Mercruiser 140 3.0L Shifting problem

Hi all,
This is my first boat and I am a newbie so I apologize up front for my ignorance.

Had the boat out 3 times this year, seemed to give me no trouble shifting from neutral to either forward or reverse. This last time out, we were unable to shift into forward gear. I could get reverse every time, but each time trying to get forward to engage, I would still be in neutral. On occasion, while moving from reverse, to neutral, then on to forward, the boat was still in reverse! So throttling forward sent us backwards!

I do have the installation and maintenance manuals and was reading through the cable adjustment sections. It seems that the control lever is causing the cables to actuate properly.

I had a second pair of hands at the prop (out of water and no power) and so we tried pulling the lower cable to engage reverse, the prop was locked when trying to rotate clockwise.

I then pushed the cable all the way in, attempting to engage forward gear, the prop does not catch and still spins freely. On occasion (we tried switching from forward to reverse and back several times to see if would ever engage) and we did hear a faint clicking noise one time. Perhaps the gear being close to engaging?

Is this just the far end of the lower cable being damaged, and is that something I can tackle (I am fairly handy), or something much more serious that I should take in for?

Any thoughts or ideas welcome!

Thanks,
Jason

Ayuh,.... My guess is the Lower cable is worn out, 'n needs Replacin',...
A groove wears into the casin', causin' too much slack, like that,...

Jmoe82

Recruit
I had a similar problem, n sorry if I add to this thread but I just bought a 1993 Larson 170 w 3.0 and alpha drive

My problem is we had it on the river the first afternoon w no real problems but the second day not so good. I was heading back home in forward n then it revved up n no forward motion. I put it back in neutral n tried again to go into gear and nothing no clunk or anything just it revving up so I got towed to dock by some nice boaters. When I got home I tried to turn prop w engine off in neutral, it turned freely, but if I put it in forward I could turn it w some resistance and if I turrned it in CCW. It was locked and vice versa when I put gear lever in reverse, I'm wondering where to start investigating?
Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry if I hijacked this thread

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jmoe82 you should start your own thread and will get the best and most descriptive answers

Jmoe82

Recruit
Ive looked on this forum and can't find the " new thread" or "start thread" I would have but haven't food that yet or figured that out

Thanks Jordan

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ive looked on this forum and can't find the " new thread" or "start thread" I would have but haven't food that yet or figured that out

Thanks Jordan

Why do we put Help Tips on top of many forums and why many Mods have a Forum Help link in signatures? So members can find things like "How to create a new topic". Check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.