Wiring Diagram for motor trim solenoid

lenapelee

Recruit
I have a Mercruiser 5.0L MPI with an Alpha gen II outdrive. My motor trim does not work. I found the problem but don't know exactly how to fix it. A wire from the harness to the solenoid corroded off It's the one that has a fusable link red with maybe a Purple stripe.
it broke off of the solenoid ( if that's the thing that the pump wires are attached. I beleive that the broken wire may come from the throttle switch. I'm looking for a wire diagram that shows where to connect this red wire. It's not obvious where it broke off (can't see where the spade clip broke. any help would be appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring Diagram for motor trim solenoid

Red/purple is usually fused +12VDC. It should be connected from a source of power, to the trim switch. The trim switch will then send the power (when activated by your thumb) to the green (trim down) or Blue (trim up) wire on the trim pump. A lot of Mercs have a trim limit switch, which is in series with the blue (trim up) wire to the trim pump.

lenapelee

Recruit

thanks Chris are you saying that I could connect it to any 12V + terminal even though it fell off of the solinoid? I found a diagram but for a 3.oL MC trim pump solinoid i think it may be the same but not sure

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Those two should be pretty close. I would think any sufficient source (say 3 Amps current) should run the primary windings of the PTT system.

lenapelee

Recruit

Those two should be pretty close. I would think any sufficient source (say 3 Amps current) should run the primary windings of the PTT system.

the diagram was the same I found the old connector that broke off under the 2nd nut fom the bottom of 4 nuts trim fixed good day

Re: Wiring Diagram for Mercruiser 470, and motor trim solenoid wiring

I'm reviving an old Galaxie with a Mercruiser 470 I/O. The trim wiring seems to have rotted out, but that's my next worry. First I want to try to start the thing. I have a new battery, and besides the main battery cables, there were red and black lines in the battery compartment-both look like they go to different sides of what I think is a starter solenoid (although it's on the opposite side of the motor as the starter, so maybe it's the trim solenoid). Anyway, when I hook those wires up, the battery terminals get super hot. The lead cable connector on the red battery lead to the starter began to melt. I disconnected everything, charged the battery, pulled the rotten trim wires (which I think were shorting things out) and tried it again. Still hot, although I left it on for a much shorter time. So I'm thinking now that the starter might be shorting out? Anyway, I'm looking for a wiring diagram for a 470, maybe one that can explain what looks like it used to be a fusible link to the ignition wiring, and a fuse across the red and black terminals...
Can anybody point me to such a wiring diagram, or offer suggestions on troubleshooting this system?
Thanks,
-Dave

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hello Dave. Please start your own thread. This one belongs to lenapelee, please don't hijack it...

Chris......

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... I beleive that the broken wire may come from the throttle switch. I'm looking for a wire diagram that shows where to connect this red wire. It's not obvious where it broke off (can't see where the spade clip broke. any help would be appreciated.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trim wiring gen II.jpg
    Trim wiring gen II.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 40

I'm reviving an old Galaxie with a Mercruiser 470 I/O. The trim wiring seems to have rotted out, but that's my next worry. First I want to try to start the thing. I have a new battery, and besides the main battery cables, there were red and black lines in the battery compartment-both look like they go to different sides of what I think is a starter solenoid (although it's on the opposite side of the motor as the starter, so maybe it's the trim solenoid). Anyway, when I hook those wires up, the battery terminals get super hot. The lead cable connector on the red battery lead to the starter began to melt. I disconnected everything, charged the battery, pulled the rotten trim wires (which I think were shorting things out) and tried it again. Still hot, although I left it on for a much shorter time. So I'm thinking now that the starter might be shorting out? Anyway, I'm looking for a wiring diagram for a 470, maybe one that can explain what looks like it used to be a fusible link to the ignition wiring, and a fuse across the red and black terminals...
Can anybody point me to such a wiring diagram, or offer suggestions on troubleshooting this system?
Thanks,
-Dave

Welcome Dave... We will definitely help you get that 470 running.... but you have to start your OWN thread and not jump on another older one.

From the Late DonS, our Moderator:
create new post.jpg

Welcome Dave... We will definitely help you get that 470 running.... but you have to start your OWN thread and not jump on another older one.

From the Late DonS, our Moderator:
View attachment 207325

Okay. So sorry. It's my first time here.

:embarassed: