Merc 120 - Won't run without jumper to coil

ezd

Recruit
StarCraft 1968 Chieftain
120 Mercruiser (not original motor) - can not find a Mercruiser serial # on engine
Numbers stamped near distributor V022800A and 18W296808
Points were replaced with Pertronix, ballast resistor and coil were not replaced
I think it is late 60's early 70's; has ceramic ballast resistors, two of them, back to back

Hi,

I am getting intermittent power to the coil; it will run for 1-4 minutes when first started, then die... When I check for current with a test light prior to first start when cold, I get a bright light on one side of the ballast resistors and a dimmer light on the other side and at positive terminal of coil. I assume that to be correct...After running for a few minutes it dies and I have no current at those three locations. When I try again the next day, current has returned. I have repeated this process three or four days.

If I run a jumper from battery to coil it will run until jumper is removed... I replaced the ignition switch thinking that might be the problem. I removed and tested the resistors and had about 1.5 ohm each, plus I loose power on both sides of them.

This forum has been very helpful in answering many of my questions through searching the archives, and I appreciate the time and effort of the members.

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Merc 120 - Won't run without jumper to coil

Which Pertronix do you have, Pertronix or Pertronix II ??????????????????????

ezd

Recruit

Pertronix - Installed about 10 years ago.

alldodge

Staff member

Going to need some more info. The model II does not If it isn't see if you have voltage require a resistor the "I" uses one. Starting to look like your resistor when heated up is increasing and may be opening up, or the coil is heating up and opening up. Need to check with a volt meter and let us know what are the readings, test lights provide little refernce.

ezd

Recruit

Installed new coil with internal resistor and removed ceramic ballast resistor from the circuit. Has ran good since then.

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member

sounds great