Kill switch on invader 165

Lollyvenn

Recruit
Does anyone know how to wire in a kill switch please!? My boat doesn't have one so have purchased one to fit in dash and it has 2 wires. Thought I could cut into wire in back of ignition which stops engine when you pull it out but it has the opposite effect. Any SIMPLE instructions please?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Kill switch on invader 165

Welcome to iBoats.

Your switch needs to be NO (Normally Open). That means when the switch is in the normal position the circuit is open, disconnected.

When you have your NO switch, just remove the ignition wire from the key and put the switch into that circuit.

If the switch is doing the opposite to that, then you may have a NC (Normally Closed) switch.

Chris....

Lollyvenn

Recruit

Hey, thank you.. Just so I am clear as I haven't a clue on electrics, I started the boat and then tried pulling out one of the wires out the back of the key. First one I tried killed the engine but when I wired the kill into that line it does the reverse. So I think you are saying that must be normally closed that one, proved by the fact that now I have added the kill switch the power is not to the key unless the cord is pulled out and line connected.

Do I just need to try one of the other two wires in back of key then??

Thanks

achris

If that switch is NC, then you need to go back to the shop and buy a NO...

What colours are on the back of the key switch? (3 wires, need all three colours)...

Chris.....

Lollyvenn

Recruit

There is a thick red which then goes into a connector joined to a purple. There is then a thin red (the one I tried which cuts the engine if you pull it out) and a thin yellow.

Below is what I bought:

Engine Kill/Stop Switch System: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

It doesn't specify if it is NO or NC.

I notice on eBay you can get one which does state for use with either? Says :
4 pin designed to work on open and closed circuits.

Cheers

achris

The one you bought is for an outboard, and they work by grounding out the ignition system. The opposite to what you need.

On the key switch colours. They are not BIA standard colours, so you are going to have to check each wire to determine what it is... Don't worry, it's very easy.

1. Get a test light or multimeter.
2. With the key OFF check the wires until you find one with power. That is the incoming power wire. Make note of its colour. (Most likely the thick red)
3. Turn the key to the RUN position. Find another wire with power on it. That's the ignition wire. Make note of its colour. (most likely the thin red)
4. The other wire left is the start wire.... (most likely the yellow)

I have given you the most likely colours, but you need to check them....

Easy....

BTW. You need to break into the ignition wire, NOT the power wire...

Chris.....

Lollyvenn

Recruit

Yes that is correct Chris re those 3 wires. Are you saying I need to but a different one now??

achris

Yes that is correct Chris re those 3 wires. Are you saying I need to but a different one now??

No, I'm just confirming the wiring.

What I AM saying is that you have the wrong type of kill switch. You have an outboard kill switch. Outboards use a NC kill switch, you need a NO kill switch....

Chris...

Lollyvenn

Recruit

Ok cheers Chris, have found a universal one... Well done.