Ignition circuit breaker tripping

Last time out I had a new and different issue with the ignition circuit breaker tripping. just had gas pumped out as I had old gas with phase separation. After a few minutes, the engine would restart and I eventually got back to our marina. Any thoughts? I will be wiping down the spark plug wires and distributor cap to ensue that that is not the problem.

This is a 30 AMP breaker on a 2003 Trophy WA, 5.0 litre Mercruiser.:confused:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Ignition circuit breaker tripping

Did someone replace the breaker because it should be a 50 AMP

Fun Times

Staff member

Ignition circuit breaker tripping. This is a 30 AMP breaker on a 2003 Trophy WA, 5.0 litre Mercruiser.:confused:
Are you talking about a breaker that is mounted right next to the ignition key switch or the circuit breaker mounted on the engine itself?

A small list of things that could cause the breaker to keep tripping could be,
1) Loose or corroded battery power or ground cables or electrical wire connections somewhere allowing the system to get hot tripping the breaker. (Common occurrence) Check the wires & breaker to see if it's getting hot.
2) Intermittent or direct electrical short.
3) In rare cases, having an alternator issue.
4) Bad circuit breaker.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Could be all that cranking got the breaker hot and it needs to be replaced.

Did someone replace the breaker because it should be a 50 AMP

The main breaker at the engine is 50 amp. The breaker that is tripping is at the helm circuit breaker panel. In reviewing the wiring diagram, this is 15 amp, not 30. This is all OEM equipment; none of the breakers have been replaced.

I'm gonna be checking all the wiring and connections for corrosion and tight connections.