**mercruiser 260 not pumping enough water??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigchunkytaco

Seaman
ok so my portside 260 v8 merc is overheating when in gear, there is nil water exiting one of the exhaust ports the other seems ok, the water filter basket does not seem as full. so i assume the impellor is shot?

my question is if there is a blockage either in the hoses or riser could it be preventing adequate intake of water for the whole system or is it definately the impellor, seems odd that one exhaust port would spit out water and not the other if its the impellor?

bigchunkytaco

Seaman
Changing impellor merc 260 v8

Changing impellor merc 260 v8

need help replacing impellor ive got twin mercruiser 260 v8 inboard cooled to vdrives shafts with serial #6703143 and #A608492

firstly i need to figure out the model number so i can order a replacement kit, secondly is there any easy way to get the pump housing off as its in a really hard spot... can i do it at the back without taking the pulley off?

and also being that the raw water intake is on the bottom of the hull with no shut off **** can i do it in the water or will i flood the boat... in the picture those little buckets are the water filters and are the highest point of the water lines, the bottom end is the intake from hull the other goes through the v drive and then the water pump.
im thinking if i disconnect that first it should be above the water line and i can tamper away with the pump?

thanks in advance
20121116_180655.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: **mercruiser 260 not pumping enough water??

ok so my portside 260 v8 merc is overheating when in gear, there is nil water exiting one of the exhaust ports the other seems ok, the water filter basket does not seem as full. so i assume the impellor is shot?

my question is if there is a blockage either in the hoses or riser could it be preventing adequate intake of water for the whole system or is it definately the impellor, seems odd that one exhaust port would spit out water and not the other if its the impellor?

Ayuh,... Both sides, Never flow the Same,.... Change yer Impeller,...

Status
Not open for further replies.