Timing Help for 1996 Mercruiser vortec 4.3. The Plate is gone...... now what?????

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
timing.jpg

Not sure what the plate is called and it looks like it was welded. Any ideas????

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Timing Help for 1996 Mercruiser vortec 4.3. The Plate is gone...... now what?????

I'd guess that the timing chain cover would have to be replaced. The missing part is called a timing tab.

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Timing Help for 1996 Mercruiser vortec 4.3. The Plate is gone...... now what?????

If the motor is ok otherwise just buy a timing tab from Summit racing or somewhere like that. I put on a fancy cover that it turns out was for an EFI motor and had to get a tab. They only cost a few bucks.
To change the whole timing cover requires removing the motor and pulling the oil pan.
The tab just hangs off two of the timing cover bolts and points where the original one did.

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If the motor is ok otherwise just buy a timing tab from Summit racing or somewhere like that. I put on a fancy cover that it turns out was for an EFI motor and had to get a tab. They only cost a few bucks.
To change the whole timing cover requires removing the motor and pulling the oil pan.
The tab just hangs off two of the timing cover bolts and points where the original one did.

Thanks NHguy, I was just going to ask if the bolt on tabs would work the same as the orginal mark. Sure would be easier, and the regular parts store should have it.

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

when I go to the parts store, it says it doesn't fit. Will it work, and does anyone know what size my harmonic balancer is. Looks like it is 7" or 8". At the mercury store, it shows this as a replacement part. On my picture, it sure looks like it had a welded on kind, of some sort.

m_steiger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Harmonic balancer should be 6.75'' inches in diameter. Timing tape from MSD makes it a breeze when setting the timing.

m_steiger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And you could go to any autoparts store and pickup a bolt on GM timing tab. It will work.