Help converting water-cooled voltage regulator to 1-wire alternator setup...

tyrrhena

Recruit
Greetings -
I have been reading some of the posts here regarding NOT replacing a voltage regulator on my 1986 mercruiser 170hp engine. The suggestions have been to convert to a 1-wire alternator setup... Hoping you folks with experience here might be able to give me some direction - is there a best-place to buy such a kit? part number? feel free to assume I know nothing about the process when giving any tips, tricks, or things to avoid during replacement? I appreciate your help here.

thanks.
-Brian

Last edited:
Re: Help converting water-cooled voltage regulator to 1-wire alternator setup...

I will recommend not replacing the V.R. I did it once, when the 2nd failed I swapped over to the belt driven alternator. Made my own brackets and used a Delco 10si 3-wire alternator.

You can buy a complete kit from Breezeworks.net. They have upper and lower mount kits... depending if you have power steering or not.

They use 3-wire alternators I believe.. which is what I am running.

DonS recently posted the wiring schematic for the one wire, I should have saved it.... I do have the diagram for the 3 wire though:

edit: I think this was the thread for the 1-wire schematic:
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...nversion-no-start-wiring-question-616523.html

Attachments

• 470 wiring w alt.pdf
    257.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Help converting water-cooled voltage regulator to 1-wire alternator setup...

I will second the Breezeworks 3 wire kit.

tyrrhena

Recruit

Thanks so much for the direction... I appreciate your help...