transom plate won't come off

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: transom plate won't come off

the exhaust tube was corroded at the bottom so I got a new (well used) gimball housing plate and exhaust tube but the plate came without the 8 screws (studs?) that goe through the transom and lock into the innner plate withthe nylon lock bolts. where can I find these screws? it seems like they screw into the gimball housing directly so some sort of screw without the head, but then how do you screw those in without ruining the thread?
Those 1/2" studs usually stay on the gimbal housing unless they brake when you try to undo nuts from inside.
There are 4 (or 3?) small bolts to secure exhaust tube and you should be able to reuse your old ones. They use 3/8" 12-point socket.

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

No anode headed bolts for this ser# http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...32.png&inbr=1017&bnbr=30&bdesc=Gimbal+Housing

Can you post pictures of your transom assembly and drive?

thank you Onega hope these pictures help.
So why can't I just put some regular stainless steel screws/bolts from home depot and then cut the head off with a grinder?
I searched on the web but they don't seem to be popular items, when i search for Gimbal housing studs I get everything but what I need.

Attachments

• 20130806_164132.jpg
    20130806_164132.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130806_164200.jpg
    20130806_164200.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130806_164233.jpg
    20130806_164233.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130806_164256.jpg
    20130806_164256.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130806_164303.jpg
    20130806_164303.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Somebody would have to tell what thread size and steel grade should be used for these studs. I'm not sure.
Strange that somebody removed them as they are hard to remove without good deal of heat and usually stay put. Can you ask the guy whom you bought it from?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

kind of faded (after 20 years is understandable): 0F538422
Guys you have no idea how happy i am to have joined iboats. I thought I was all lonely out there doing crazy stuff to my boat, but I see there are other crazy people like me.... I meant other people doing crazy stuff like me.
thank you thank you thank you

No, you got it right the first time, crazy people.... :D :D :D

That is an early Gen II, so the stud part numbers are as follows

4 of.. 16-818834
4 of.. 16-56296

I guess you could fabricate them from SS. Here's the dimensions.
2 of them are 4-3/4" long and 2 are 4-1/4" long. On all, one end is UNF (7/16-20) the other UNC (7/16-14)...

Chris......
BTW, that's the transom serial number, not the drive. 3 important numbers for Mercruiser, engine serial number, drive serial number and transom serial number. If you put those in you opening post each time you ask a question, we'll get on famously... ;) (or do as a lot of people do, put them in a signature file and they come up every time you post... and you don't have to remember about them, like mine)

Last edited:

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

Somebody would have to tell what thread size and steel grade should be used for these studs. I'm not sure.
Strange that somebody removed them as they are hard to remove without good deal of heat and usually stay put. Can you ask the guy whom you bought it from?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea why they would have removed them, the guys bought a small fishing boat and one time it rained so bad that it flooded the boat. the engine was locked so they waited and waited and thinking what to do until they dacided to get rid of everything, a friend of them asked to give them the outdrive so they removed it but never gave it to him I guess. I found a post on craiglists, they sold the entire thing: inner plate, gimbal housing, outdrive, tilt motor exhaust pipe for $600!!! the only bad thing is the gimbal bearing which I will replace with a new one for $40. I thoght it was a good deal, no rust anywhere in the u-join, just a little white buildup nearsome of the bolts, so iI didn't ask any questions but i did texted about the screws/studs and they said they don't have it, probably the dog eat them.

The boat was osed on a freshwater lake and only feww hours before they let the engine rust away, so I think I'm lucky to have found this deal but now I'm stuck with these screws!?!?!

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

some say sanity is boring.
Achris, who are you? did you design the Mercruiser engine or what!? how do you know so much details about some ... screws?
talking about craziness!!

You mentioned 2 are 4-3/4 and 2 are 4-1/4 long UNF (7/16-20) the other UNC (7/16-14), what about the other 4? there are 8 holes, two at the top, two at the bottom and two on each side where it arches.

Again, don't know how to thank you guys enough!!!

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You mentioned 2 are 4-3/4 and 2 are 4-1/4 long UNF (7/16-20) the other UNC (7/16-14), what about the other 4? there are 8 holes, two at the top, two at the bottom and two on each side where it arches.
I think he meant pairs.

$600 looks like a good deal for everything fresh water gen 2.
Good luck with your project!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

some say sanity is boring.
Achris, who are you? did you design the Mercruiser engine or what!? how do you know so much details about some ... screws?
talking about craziness!!

Again, don't know how to thank you guys enough!!!

Yeah, I meant pairs, sorry about that.

No, I didn't design the Mercruiser... Wish I had, there would be more than a few changes, that's for sure!!!

Chris.....

Last edited: