transom plate won't come off

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice
hello, I'm new to iboats and I'm new to boating so double trouble.
I hope I'm in the right forum, I have a mercruiser Alpha one gen2 with a 3.0L engine.
My transom is leaking preatty bad right below the exhaust pipe, I saw water coming in.
I have removed the engine and the outdrive, disconnected the bellows, removed the exhaust, the stearing and the 8 bolts that holds on the inner stransom plate to the outer one.
I have read somewhere, to put something on the outer plate to prevent it from falling once all 8 bolts are off but... that thing won't move!!! it was two of us pushing and pulling sideways, upwards and downwards but nothing. I stared at the hammer I had but I resisted using it, I really don't want to damage something out of desperation so I left and decided t join this forum. Are the 8 bolts with the plastic inside to prevent them from unscrwing all that there is? it feels like it is melted to the transom or something. Any advise on how to remove it?
should it be that hard to pull the two plates apart? ... can I use the hammer? where is the best place to bang that thing?

thank you so much

Danny

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: transom plate won't come off

Once you have those 8 nyloc nuts off, then you should be able to pull the inner transom plate away. Sometimes that do get stuck to the inside of the hull and a little gentle assistance is needed. CAREFULLY slip a screwdriver under the inner plate, at the top. Then another a little further down. Gently work the screwdrivers down and the inner plate should come off. The outer (gimbal housing) will need the same treatment, but maybe a little firmer...

Good luck,

Chris......

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Chris is Right,... Be gentle with pryin' the inner plate off,...

No Hammers,...

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Chris is Right,... Be gentle with pryin' the inner plate off,...

No Hammers,...

I second that. I think I would try to slide a thin putty knife between the plates and transom first, to see if it'll break loose, then graduate to the screwdriver. If someone had them off before and used a 3M anything sealant on them during re-install, that could be holding them fast. The putty knife could break the sealant free, inturn breaking the plate free.

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

Ah, thank you guys. So the 8 bolts is all that there is. I didn't think about a screwdriver or a putty knife. will let you know how it goes.
Cheers

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The manufacturer does not seal the outer transom plate to the fiberglass, but sometimes put some people caulk or put sealant in addition to the gasket which will glue the outer transom to the fiberglass. I have read here on iboats that some people take a putty knife, sharpen the edge, and as mentioned slip it underneath.

I also saw someone make a pulling rig with a few 2x4s against the transom of the boat and a threaded rod with a small ~4x4" piece of plywood on the inside. I don't quite remember where it grabbed onto to actually pull the plates apart. Not sure if anyone can find that thread.

Is the exhaust pipe leaking, or is the fiberglass mush?

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wide pry bar gently hammered in between the plate and transom in different spots usually works for me just fine.
If transom is rotted badly there is a lot of corrosion in there and the plate won't come out easy.
Just in case, have you removed exhaust all the way down?

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

Something like this can help, just don't use the 90 degree curled in, it may apply to must pressure at a location.

Vaughan Super Bar ? 15in. Length | Pry Bars| Northern Tool + Equipment

wow you guys went way beyond what I was expected, I guess some good ol hands on experience is always welcomed.
I got the two plates off, I used a putty and a big flat screwdriver. the watere seemed to come off right below the exhaust.
is this the most common place for leakage? why?
The transom has s ome roth in it so I'm not sure if that's the reason of the leakage but I'm glad I removed the plates becuase one of 8 screws is actually rusted to the point that it separated from the outer plate. Now I need to figure out how to remove/replace those screws :-(

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It would be a good idea if you posted some good pictures in order to get more assistance. And my guess is that you will have to spend some time reading posts in restoration section as transom rebuild might be in order.
Welcome to the forum btw.

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

It would be a good idea if you posted some good pictures in order to get more assistance. And my guess is that you will have to spend some time reading posts in restoration section as transom rebuild might be in order.
Welcome to the forum btw.

thank you ONEGA, sorry for the delay i got the plaes off and I got excited about working on it, well my whole transom is rotten so working on that now. I looked in the restoration section and found some really good hints on how to remove the rotten wood. now I'm rebuilding it but going back to the Gimball housing: the exhaust tube was corroded at the bottom so I got a new (well used) gimball housing plate and exhaust tube but the plate came without the 8 screws (studs?) that goe through the transom and lock into the innner plate withthe nylon lock bolts. where can I find these screws? it seems like they screw into the gimball housing directly so some sort of screw without the head, but then how do you screw those in without ruining the thread?

regards
Daniel

Bondo

Staff member

but the plate came without the 8 screws (studs?) that goe through the transom and lock into the innner plate withthe nylon lock bolts. where can I find these screws? it seems like they screw into the gimball housing directly so some sort of screw without the head, but then how do you screw those in without ruining the thread?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... They're called Studs,.... Ya get 'em from Mercruiser,...

The bottom 2 are aluminum anode bolts/ studs,...

They're installed by double nuttin' 'em,...

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

Danny, been there and just replaced my 1/2 transom. Thank God only need half. I have alpha 1 gen two and all my studs were hard steel but two different sizes (V8s) , depending if they MIGHT come incontact with y pipe or 1/2 y pipe on 3.0. Get you a long speed wood arbore for 3/8 drill . I used 5/8" x 15" shaft which was the thickness between two layers of rotted wood. It will expidite removing rotted wood. Hammer and chizle sucks. Work from inside carefull not to damage outside skin. It is important you examine pipe mating surfaces for pitting that might leak. You may have to put heat on what is left of studs. Mine would not come off until I heated with brazing tourch tip. Came right out. Good luck!

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get you a long speed wood arbore for 3/8 drill . I used 5/8" x 15" shaft which was the thickness between two layers of rotted wood. It will expidite removing rotted wood. Hammer and chizle sucks. Work from inside carefull not to damage outside skin.

I don't think I have seen this suggestion before in the restore threads. I know its the mercruiser forum, but can you better explain what you mean with using a 5/8" x 15" drill? Are you drilling between the two layers of fiberglass, at the outdrive cutout?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

You will have to remove rotted wood (I assume your transom is wood) and replace with something, synthetic or marine ply. Go to lowes or Homeo depot and buy a wood speed bore tool. It just cuts circles in wood, but in this case you can get into difficult places to remove rotted wood. I worked inside my hull where a 350 chevy motor was instlled with very little room. I was fortunate to gave air tools, but the speed arbor on a 3/8 ' drill was the best tool for removing rotted wood. You can also chizzle out rotted wood by hand . I had to work in a very cramped place wit a fuel tank in my way. You may not have this problem. You will also need hair dryer. 101_0297.jpg101_0295.jpg

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... They're called Studs,.... Ya get 'em from Mercruiser,...

The bottom 2 are aluminum anode bolts/ studs,...

They're installed by double nuttin' 'em,...

thank you Bond-o: I'm not that experienced especially when it comes to terminology but I assume you mean screw tights two nuts together in the middle of the thread so they are locked and use them as a temporary "screw head'? wow I shall call you Bond-o McGiver!!!
are these the two anode? MerCruiser Alpha 1 - GEN II Anode Bolt Kit
I want to make sure I buy the right (expensive) stuff. i still can't find the rest of the screws online :-(

Bondo

Staff member

thank you Bond-o: I'm not that experienced especially when it comes to terminology but I assume you mean screw tights two nuts together in the middle of the thread so they are locked and use them as a temporary "screw head'? wow I shall call you Bond-o McGiver!!!
I want to make sure I buy the right (expensive) stuff. i still can't find the rest of the screws online :-(

Ayuh,.... I taught McGiver,.... ;)

Yes, those are the anode bolts,...

The Studs, you'll find at a Mercruiser site, not aftermarket,...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I find that most interesting... The Gen II doesn't have anode headed bolts at the bottom of the gimbal housing. Those bolt kits are for MC-1/R/MR/Alpha One, but NOT gen II.... I know it says in the listing 'Gen II', but trust me, they are NOT for a Gen II...

Danny, what is the serial number of your drive? There were 2 different bolt kits used (neither is the one you listed)..... So we need the serial number to find the right parts for you....

Chris.......

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

I find that most interesting... The Gen II doesn't have anode headed bolts at the bottom of the gimbal housing. Those bolt kits are for MC-1/R/MR/Alpha One, but NOT gen II.... I know it says in the listing 'Gen II', but trust me, they are NOT for a Gen II...

Danny, what is the serial number of your drive? There were 2 different bolt kits used (neither is the one you listed)..... So we need the serial number to find the right parts for you....

Chris.......

Ayuh,... Good catch Chris,... I completely missed it bein' Gen.II,...

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

Chris.......

kind of faded (after 20 years is understandable): 0F538422
Guys you have no idea how happy i am to have joined iboats. I thought I was all lonely out there doing crazy stuff tomy boat, but I see there are other crazy people like me.... I meant other people doing crazy stuff like me.
thank you thank you thank you