Neutral Safety Switch Location Mercruiser 7.4L V8/Mercury Quicksilver 88688a26

djalexg82

Cadet
Hello,

Can anyone tell me where the Neutral Safety Switch is located, is it inside the actual controller or someplace else

Here is a pic to the Single Handle Trim Controller (88688a26)

Google Image Result for http://www.marineengine.com/parts/images/mercury/88688A26.jpg

Issue I have is I can't start the engine (won't turn) unless I wiggle and play around with the controller a couple of times, it finally died on me and no matter how much I play with it, it won't start anymore. I had a friend bypass it and it started in gear with no problems. I cannot get a hold of him so figured I would ask here. I did some reading around and it could be corrosion perhaps but I don't know where to begin, I got all the manuals and I got under the instrument panel but it?s a wire mess down there and i don't want to screw anything up.

One thing to add: I keep the boat covered all the time, however I noticed a tear in the material right next to the controller so I know for a fact that before this whole issue started water defiantly got in on it a couple of times.

I think I covered everything, if not please ask away and thanks for the help!

93 Sea ray Sundancer
Mercruiser 7.4L V8
Single Handle Trim Controller (88688a26)

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Re: Neutral Safety Switch Location Mercruiser 7.4L V8/Mercury Quicksilver 88688a26

If its an I/O ---- it's in the control.

If its an inboard it's on the tranny.

djalexg82

Cadet
Re: Neutral Safety Switch Location Mercruiser 7.4L V8/Mercury Quicksilver 88688a26

If its an I/O ---- it's in the control.

If its an inboard it's on the tranny.

It's an I/O - Thank you, any tips on best way to take it apart? Do i need to disconnect the battery?

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Always disconnect the battery when working on your boat.
Have some towels to work on. The grease that's in these things will stain the carpet and upholstery.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Disconnect the ground first.

djalexg82

Cadet

Always disconnect the battery when working on your boat.
Have some towels to work on. The grease that's in these things will stain the carpet and upholstery.

In the process of removing the unit, i noticed that there is a lot of rust inside the moving parts, i think that has to do with the whole issue. I am thinking once i remove the whole unit, i will need to carefully clean it and grease it thoroughly and keep it dry, i hope this does the trick - thanks everyone, i will post the progress if it does not

djalexg82

Cadet

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know, how to remove the control unit? I want to take it apart and clean it since i can see that there is rust in it. Is there any particular steps or perhaps a set of instructions i can follow. I just want to be able to take the unit out clean it lube it up and put it back on.

thanks

NHGuy

Captain

Be smart and don't disassemble the actual controller if possible. Just remove what's needed to work on the neutral safety switch. The guts of the controllers are complicated and easy to screw up.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Be smart and don't disassemble the actual controller if possible. Just remove what's needed to work on the neutral safety switch. The guts of the controllers are complicated and easy to screw up.

Been there, done that... :facepalm:

NHGuy

Captain

Yeah, I "helped" my father in law back in 1992 that way. Didn't know about shift cutout switches and went to town on his controller. I'm lucky he let me marry his daughter after that screw up. I wish there was iboats then.

djalexg82

Cadet

Ok, so I took the controller apart and to my surprise it’s not rusted and in fact is all greased up perfectly, is there any way to test the safety switch? I strongly feel that that’s the culprit – here is a pic of the safety switch – part # 817724

Mercury Quicksilver 87-817724 - Switch @ MarineEngine.com
IMG_1281.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

put a ohm meter across it and depress the button. goes either short or open

djalexg82

Cadet

Ok, so i replaced the safety switch and put the controller back in, I noticed that one of the shift cables was very tight to pull out and push back in. Once i put the controller back in, i cannot even move the throttle handle forward to pump some gas before i start the engine because it’s so tight. I hope i did not mess up the shift cables. Another interesting thing is that now when i turn the key the boat makes a quick sound from the engine compartment. It did not make that noise even before - if you were to hold the safety switch in your hand while its connected and push the red button while starting the boat it makes the same sound. So I have no clue what to do now. Does anyone have a clue.
The engine still won’t turn and now I cannot pump gas into in to try. The battery is fully charged.

Oh quick stupid question, when charging the batteries from shore hook up do you need to keep both batteries on or off?

djalexg82

Cadet

The end result was a bad starter solenoid - go figure huh - so after having the boat sit in the water for 2 months without being able to start it, the time and the headaches on top of that I bought a whole new controller. It only cost me $387 to get a mechanic to fix it in 1 day lol.

Oh well, I guess you live and you learn.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Bondo

Staff member

The end result was a bad starter solenoid - go figure huh - so after having the boat sit in the water for 2 months without being able to start it, the time and the headaches on top of that I bought a whole new controller. It only cost me $387 to get a mechanic to fix it in 1 day lol.

Oh well, I guess you live and you learn.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Ayuh,.... Which is exactly Why, ole DonS insisted on a thorough Diagnosis,....

10 minutes with a multimeter or test light shoulda found the Real Issue,...

It's the Hope, 'n Dream of iboats.com to carry on the Great teachin' of DonS,.....
it all begins with Diagnosis,....

Fun Times

Staff member

It's the Hope, 'n Dream of iboats.com to carry on the Great teachin' of DonS,.....
it all begins with Diagnosis,....
Amen, brother! :pray2::encouragement:

Thanks for the update djalexg82.