Trim gauge not working

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The trim gauge on my 1991 StarCraft with 4.3L Mercruiser with Alpha One Gen II outdrive does not work. I believe the trim works as I have fooled with it while cruising on the water and it seems to make a difference but maybe it's not working if the gauge isn't and it has been my imagination. The needle in the gauge is in the maximum up position. Could someone tell me their opinion of what might be wrong ? Is it the gauge or the trim switch?

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trim gauge not working

I have the same problem, mine goes up all the way and stays there, but the trim and switch works, im courious of the answer to that...

camalot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Standing at the back of the boat looking at the drive, there are two trim sender units mounted to the gimble ring pivots . The left one is your limit switch and the right one goes to the gauge, this would be the first place to look. With the ignition on loosen the two retaining screws on the right sender and rotate and see if the gauge moves, if not it's time to replace the senders.

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what about if the senders are new?

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of that, would you ?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

then there wired wrong, or not lined up properly during installation.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

trrrr_zps6bad7b3b.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat

what about if the senders are new?

Are the wires from the CORRECT sender plugged into the correct connectors on the harness at the back of the engine?
Does the gauge have power to it? (Measure both positive AND the negative terminals at the gauge).

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the gauge have power neg and pos, but perhaps you are right , i have to check the connections , i know for a fact I've installed as the pic above and connect it the way it was but never cross check the connections its a spider web back there and access is very limited .