2004 Sea Ray Sundancer 280 - Starboard engine emergency start only, no windless

fwpoole

Cadet
Hi, my 2004 280 sundancer engine (starboard) will not start unless I engage "emergency start". Seems as though there is no battery power. The windless will not work either. Could hear it engaging but will not turn. The Port engine starts normally.

Removed the batteries last winter and stored them inside. This problem occurred when I first tried to start the motors this spring....just thought it was low batteries.

Installed two new batteries today...same problem...starboard engine cranks a little then clicking. Engage emergency start, she starts right up. Port engine starts no problem.

All batteries (new and old) are reading 13+ volts...both separately and when installed on the boat.

What do you think, did I install the batteries wrong, are the batteries bad, or is there something else going on.

Thanks

Fred

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2004 Sea Ray Sundancer 280 - Starboard engine emergency start only, no windless

Hi, my 2004 280 sundancer engine (starboard) will not start unless I engage "emergency start". Seems as though there is no battery power. The windless will not work either. Could hear it engaging but will not turn. The Port engine starts normally.

Removed the batteries last winter and stored them inside. This problem occurred when I first tried to start the motors this spring....just thought it was low batteries.

Installed two new batteries today...same problem...starboard engine cranks a little then clicking. Engage emergency start, she starts right up. Port engine starts no problem.

All batteries (new and old) are reading 13+ volts...both separately and when installed on the boat.

What do you think, did I install the batteries wrong, are the batteries bad, or is there something else going on.

Thanks

Fred

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... I'm guessin' yer "emergency start" is just a jumper from the other motor's battery,...

If so,... The motor that don't start has Wirin' Issues,...

The wires on the battery have 2 ends,...
Clean Both the battery ends, 'n the Other ends, shiny metal Clean, 'n try it,...

fwpoole

Cadet
Re: 2004 Sea Ray Sundancer 280 - Starboard engine emergency start only, no windless

Thanks, I cleaned the battery end..will have a look at the other en too..

fwpoole

Cadet

Update: The windless problem is solved. There is a circuit breaker on the port side just forward of the batteries. It had popped.

Motor: Cleaned all connections on the batteries, tested the voltage on the batteries and on the starter = 13.6ish.

When I try to start the motor, the voltage(at the starter) drops to 6ish.

Wanted to check the battery switch...not sure where it is..

Thanks

Fred