Mercruiser 5.0 shift cable stuck in flywheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I am in desperate need of help.

After making many beginner mistakes I successfully replaced bellows and shift cable.

In the process the first time I tried to thread the new cable through the transome it got stuck in the flywheel housing. I cut the cable near the flywheel and pulled the cable back out the transome from outside the boat leaving about 6 inches of the cable outside the flywheel.

I read somewhere that I could just leave it there but when I started the engine I now hear a clicking noise.

Has anyone had this issue? I am at the end of my patience. Sore with bruises and cuts all over myself.

Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Mercruiser 5.0 shift cable stuck in flywheel

Trying to picture this ...but if my picture is right, Its rubbing on your coupler....its proly the zerk fitting hitting the cable. Can you zip tie it away from it without kinking the cable.

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

Trying to picture this ...but if my picture is right, Its rubbing on your coupler....its proly the zerk fitting hitting the cable. Can you zip tie it away from it without kinking the cable.

thanks for the quick reply. let me clarify. the cable in question is the 1st attempt to thread it through the transom. After hours of trying to push it in and pull it out I gave up and cut it leaving about 6 inches stuck in the flywheel. I purchased a new cable and installed it with no problems.

I now need to remove the cable end that is stuck in the flywheel. It makes noise in there when engine is running. It also gets spun around back there but I can get ahold go the cut end. The end with the brass fitting on it is logged in there good.

thanks again

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

post a pic cause it`s not possable to get into the housing from the rear.I take that back, You can if you dont know how the cable goes. Once your thru the boot , you need a coat hanger to catch the cable and direct it thru the housing mount, then up and around.
unt1_zps815d86d5.jpg

Last edited:

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

post a pic cause it`s not possable to get into the housing from the rear.I take that back, You can if you dont know how the cable goes. Once your thru the boot , you need a coat hanger to catch the cable and direct it thru the housing mount, then up and around.
unt1_zps815d86d5.jpg

In your picture it is stuck about where the white arrow is. I already routed a new cable successfully. I now need to remove cut end from flywheel where the white arrow is in your picture.
Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Short of pulling the motor or removing the drive and sparkplugs and turning the motor the opposite way.

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

Will it hurt anything if I just leave it there? That's what I'm most concerned about.
Thanks for the help.

Bondo

Staff member

Will it hurt anything if I just leave it there? That's what I'm most concerned about.
Thanks for the help.

Ayuh,.... That's pretty much an Unanswerable question,....

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

I was thinking I could cut it shorter and leave it. Or could I get to it if I remove the plastic dust cover? I tried to pull it out but it is in there good. The clicking noise is the tail spinning around hitting the housing when the engine runs...

Of course it's also very hard to reach.
Thanks

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

On that picture with the white arrow....Is it wedged in the gap between the coupler and flywheel cover?

If you cut it the first time...i would think you can get to it to pull it out with some small vise grips.

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, that's where it is. In the gap somewhere.

I have tried to pull it out but I can't get leverage. I have put vice grips on it. Maybe I will try pulling plugs and hand crank as I pull on it. Very frustrating. It would help if I could see in there and determine how it is stuck.
Thanks

Last edited:

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

Any new ideas? Would the plastic dust cover at the bottom by the starter give me any access? Do I need to remove th starter before I remove the dust cover?
Thanks again

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

IDK.......can you get your phone down there and snap a pic.....might help to see what its hung up on.

Might pull the drive again....this may help to get at it.

Also Bt Doctor said earlier to pull spark plugs and rotate the engine backward....might jar it loose.

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

IDK.......can you get your phone down there and snap a pic.....might help to see what its hung up on.

Might pull the drive again....this may help to get at it.

Also Bt Doctor said earlier to pull spark plugs and rotate the engine backward....might jar it loose.

I will try to get a pic. Removing the drive will not help. It is just hanging out the back of the engine inside the engine compartment, in the flywheel cover.

going out to try and get a pic now.

thanks

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Removing the drive will not help.

The point of removing the drive is to allow you to be able to rotate the engine by hand both clockwise and counterclockwise. The idea is if you rotate it the opposite direction, it may loosen it up. You also need to remove the spark plugs as you will not be able to rotate the engine by hand with all the compression in the cylinders.

I have been taking my smartphone on video and sticking it in places I can't see. I have been amazed at the quality of it. I have an inspection camera, mirrors, flashlights, etc - nothing works nearly as well as the smartphone video. The internal light makes illumination very even. I highly recommend trying this. Only downside is you generally can't see minute detail until you bring it back on the computer later.

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

shiftcable_flywheel.jpg

here is the cable highlighted in red. Can I just put the outdrive in neutral and remove the plugs to rotate by hand?

thanks

oldjeep

Admiral

Why can't you just clamp a vicegrip to it near the bellhousing and pry off against the motor mount?

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

I think it goes up and then back down so the brass end gets wedged inside. I will try again but pulling on it seems to do nothing.
Thanks

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

Still stuck

Anyone want a boat...?

Bondo

Staff member

Still stuck

Anyone want a boat...?

Ayuh,.... Yer in quite a pickle,... the obvious answer is to pull the motor, 'n the flywheel cover to untangle it,....

The redneck option is to Run it,...
Keep tuggin' at it at every chance ya get, 'n some time, it'll come off in yer hand, after something wears through,...
Hopefully, the debris won't interfere with anything,...
If the starter ever hangs up, you'll know why,...

Status
Not open for further replies.