Mercruiser 165 NO spark at plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyspoppa

Cadet
Folk's
I have beat my brains on this one...got my boat uncovered, batteries charged up, engine turned over well but no starty...fuel pump? Pulled the fuel supply line from the carb...no fuel being drawn up! Then I dummied in an electric pump and pulled all the fuel from the tank! Hate to waste 16 gals! Anybody know how much fuel a 1987 Wellcraft 180 Classic with a 4 cyl mercruiser 165 holds in the fuel tank?
Put an electric pump (temporary) bypassing the mechanical pump...now I get fuel drawn up into carb!
Checked for power at the points...plenty
Checked for power on coil...12.5 volts
Pulled coil high tension wire and held it close to metal ground...turned over...NO sparky...
Swapped coils...no sparky
Swapped condenser...no sparky...
Replaced distributor cap and rotor...no sparky!
Pulled the points, filed them flat and ran fine Emory cloth through them to smooth the points...gapped them to .020..NO sparky! I know...this is a no no...but for testing?
Swapped coils again...put old coil in...no sparky!
Removed the grey wire from the distributor side of the coil...engine started!
Replaced the grey wire back onto the coil (tach ) and it now starts every time...about 1/3 of the engine turning over a revolution!
Still stumped! Think I am going to buy a Pertronix conversion kit and get rid of the points!
NO IT WASN'T MY NUETRAL SAFETY SWITCH...IT IS DEAD ON.
I WILL BE GETTING FIVE MORE GALLONS OF FUEL, RE-HOOK UP THE MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP AND RETEST IT...HOPE IT WORKS.

By the way...I pulled the stone filter from the fuel pump...and cleaned in by soaking in phosphoric acid rinse and water for 24 hrs. And it is spotless...and fuel goes right through it! I use phosphoric acid for cleaning rusty stuff without scrubbing and thought I would try it on the filter...wow is all I can say!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 165 NO spark at plugs.

my money`s going to be on the tach or corrosion on the - side of the coil

frank3726

Cadet

I'm just as stumped. I read this post and I will try the same. I did everything the same even a new tune up and it won't start. And no spark at the plug, plenty of fuel now that I cleaned up the whole lot. I'm even returning the fuel system back to original and getting rid of the in-line fuel filter someone installed. I did have little critters in my boat over the winter, so I'm thinking they needed a snack. The engine spins nice now with a new starter, and I removed the stator and replaced it with an alternator, new coil, wires etc.... fresh fuel, still no spark. Is there a safe way to hot wire this rig to test everything?

alldodge

Staff member

I'm with BT and will add, suggest reading post on the Pertronix system. You see very few Delco folks posting problems compared to Pertronix system. But, this is your boat

frank3726

Cadet

Eric,

That was exactly what I was looking for...Thanks! Just needed a place to start tracing this issue down.

frank3726

Cadet

Eric,

Got the beast running! Just needed to clean the female connector in the wire harness plug. Now she starts every time on the first crank. Might need a choke adjustment but levels out real nice after a minute or so.

Thanks for the help!

StingRay21

Recruit
Have the same problem on this 1987 180. I just got the boat in the yard yesterday and the guy said he replaced the cap, motor, points, condenser and coil and no spark coming out of the distributor. I haven't tried it yet but I trust his observation since he works at a marina.
What female connector on the wiring harness are you talking about? do you have a pic you could post.

Attachments

• photo333300.jpg
    photo333300.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Have the same problem on this 1987 180. I just got the boat in the yard yesterday and the guy said he replaced the cap, motor, points, condenser and coil and no spark coming out of the distributor. I haven't tried it yet but I trust his observation since he works at a marina.
What female connector on the wiring harness are you talking about? do you have a pic you could post.

This thread is 7 years old. Please read the forum rules and start you own thread.

Chris......
iboats mod team.

Status
Not open for further replies.