bleeding power steering

507betty

Recruit
Have a 4.3L V-6 Alpha in my ski boat. The power steering was gone, so I removed the cap to the PS reservoir, turned the wheel back to back about 40 times. Put the cap on, started it up. It's better, but only about halfway to where it should be. Do it again or any suggestions? Thanks

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: bleeding power steering

I have heard they will bleed themselves. All of the air will eventually rise to the reservoir. If you're not comfortable with that, crack the line at the pressure side while someone is turning the wheel and see if you can get the air out.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: bleeding power steering

Have a 4.3L V-6 Alpha in my ski boat. The power steering was gone, so I removed the cap to the PS reservoir, turned the wheel back to back about 40 times. Put the cap on, started it up. It's better, but only about halfway to where it should be. Do it again or any suggestions? Thanks

Howdy, Welcome Aboard!

I have heard they will bleed themselves.
True statement. Add fluid until it's "normal" any foaming will eventually disappear.

Don't overfill while it's foamy but keep adding until it's in the normal range. You do not have to "crack" HP lines.

If the level is LOW, you may have a leak. you'll want to fix that. if you use a red fluid, it'll be easier to find.

Check your power steering oil cooler (if installed). The leak may be there and it'll be getting pumped overboard (into the raw water discharge)

Cheers,

Rick