2005 5.7 TKS timing issue?

the man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This one has me stumped. have set timing per manual and per instructions on this forum. grounded to get timing base, set to 10 btdc. it runs okay at an idle, sounds like it is missing a bit though. hard to tell for sure. when revved to 2-3000 with no load, timing advances and it sounds great; smooth and revs right up. put it in the water, runs like ****e. with a load, it sounds like it is missing on most cylinders. coughing, sputtering, backfiring. re-checked with timing light- it is at 10 btdc. ideas?

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: 2005 5.7 TKS timing issue?

Plug wires in correct order? How's the carb look?

Bondo

Staff member

This one has me stumped. have set timing per manual and per instructions on this forum. grounded to get timing base, set to 10 btdc. it runs okay at an idle, sounds like it is missing a bit though. hard to tell for sure. when revved to 2-3000 with no load, timing advances and it sounds great; smooth and revs right up. put it in the water, runs like ****e. with a load, it sounds like it is missing on most cylinders. coughing, sputtering, backfiring. re-checked with timing light- it is at 10 btdc. ideas?

Ayuh,..... Check the Contents of, 'n replace the Fuel Filter,....

She's goin' Lean, under load,....

Fun Times

Staff member

Also have you checked fuel condition? Spark plugs?

Tried anything else besides engine timing yet?

the man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also have you checked fuel condition? Spark plugs?

Tried anything else besides engine timing yet?

tried everything with fuel except carb rebuild. only has 200 hours on it but could be dirty i suppose. tried cleaning it with just carb cleaner sprayed in but i doubt that works if it is blocked at all. i don't trust any marine mechanics (long story) so i need to learn this next. looking for a schematic and / or tutorial to get started.

Fun Times

Staff member

looking for a schematic and / or tutorial to get started.
The TKS service manual you need is SM #41. I don't think there is a full copy of it online. There's only one section of the manual that I could find and here it is for you, Service Manual #41

If you keep searching online, you may find a bit more someplace but i'm not 100% sure on that. There are some places that you can pay something like $5.00 to get a copy, or search the part number of the manual to find good deals like ebay for instance.

Good luck.:)

the man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The TKS service manual you need is SM #41. I don't think there is a full copy of it online. There's only one section of the manual that I could find and here it is for you, Service Manual #41

If you keep searching online, you may find a bit more someplace but i'm not 100% sure on that. There are some places that you can pay something like $5.00 to get a copy, or search the part number of the manual to find good deals like ebay for instance.

Good luck.:)

thank you. i was able to remove /clean main jets, and the assembly that fills the bowl. that needle valve was sticking, and the jets were semi-clogged. i could not get the power valve out after just about completely stripping it i gave up on that. i cleaned everything out again, including the chunks from stripping the power valve, put it back together, and BANG. it works.

thanks again. hopefully someday i can contribute to this forum what i have gotten from it so far!