Another issue, ignition switch on 4.3l mercruiser w/thunderbolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbmaciii

Cadet
Hi,

Boat won't start or turnover after installing new ignition.

Old ignition went bad on the water, the key would just spin and spin around, and the nut and bolt holding it on were tightened just fine.

I put a new ignition in today, now the boat wont turnover, just makes a "click" sound. Both batteries are fine and read 12v on battery gauge when turning the key.

Here is how old ignition was layed out. It had 4 terminals on, labeled B I A S. New ignition terminals are labeled Batt Acc Ign Sw.

So I took wire from B(red) put it on Batt, yellow wire from S on Sw, Purple wire from I put on Ign, and red accessory wire put on Acc from A on old ignition.

Am I doing something wrong? I just replaced the starter about a month ago.

Side note,

When I was working on the boat yesterday, when I placed the key in the old ignition, it started turning over without me turning the key, I immediately killed the batteries and took the key out and it stopped

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Terry

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Another issue, ignition switch on 4.3l mercruiser w/thunderbolt

Here is how old ignition was layed out. It had 4 terminals on, labeled B I A S. New ignition terminals are labeled Batt Acc Ign Sw.

B=Batt=Battery=red/purple striped wire
I=Ign=Ignition= Purple wire
A=Acc=Accessory=Nothing should be on this terminal
S=Sw= Yellow/red stripe wire Should show St, not Sw, some even show C=Crank (turning starter)

Last edited:

tbmaciii

Cadet

image.jpgimage.jpg old and new. Any suggestions? The red wire on accessory goes to the radio I think. Either way, it was on accessory on the old one

Don S

The radio or anything else needs to be taken off the acc position of the switch completely and put on the house fuse panel. Only the engine and instruments should be on the ign. switch.

sw wiring.jpg

Last edited:

tbmaciii

Cadet

Ok, well everything is wired correctly now, still just a click on start from the motor, will not turn over, any suggestions?

Don S

Do you have a serial number for your engine handy?

tbmaciii

Cadet

my 4.3L`s serial is 0M621457 and model is 4-211025RS

tbmaciii

Cadet

Don S,

I started at the starter as directed, the diagram says C and D, C had power, D going to the slave did not and the slave did not either. So this means the starter. I replaced the starter a month ago and it has worked fine since. Why is my starter going bad again and is there maybe a fix without having to replace like a fuse or something?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Don S,

I started at the starter as directed, the diagram says C and D, C had power, D going to the slave did not and the slave did not either. So this means the starter. I replaced the starter a month ago and it has worked fine since. Why is my starter going bad again and is there maybe a fix without having to replace like a fuse or something?

Thanks

Ayuh,.... The Big red wire should show battery voltage,...

The yellow/ red wire only shows 12v when the key is in the Start position,....

Don S

Don S,

Thanks

You didn't actually so the tests did you?

tbmaciii

Cadet

I did the tests, but did not read properly and did them backwards. Sorry been extremely busy and side tracked over the past month with work. The solenoid on top of the engine was not working properly, waiting for another to come in. However, using a screwdriver on the solenoid, the engine turned over, now it will not do anything. I am going to look for a blown fuse somewhere and then replace the circuit breaker to see if that is the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.