diag procedure requested 5.7 mercruiser 1985, water in oil

maxum1800

Cadet
I'm trying to help a friend with an older boat that has a 1985 4 Bl carb 5.7 v-8 and has found his engine oil milky. I believe he attempted to drain the oil and nhe says the first 1/2 of the oil was 100% water ,then the milky oil started to come out. He stated that it ran good before he winterized it,BUT ,he did know that he had the same milky oil before he winterized it,didnt have the time to get into it. I would like to know if there is a step by step procedure that would qualify his engine,manifolds,risor,ect to pin point problem or is it a take it apart and have all external manifolds,risors,gaskets, ect. checked before removing heads ,ect? I know its a big question ,just thought if there was a way I would like to see him try it before the later. Thanks for all help Maxum1800

Bondo

Staff member
Re: diag procedure requested 5.7 mercruiser 1985, water in oil

I'm trying to help a friend with an older boat that has a 1985 4 Bl carb 5.7 v-8 and has found his engine oil milky. I believe he attempted to drain the oil and nhe says the first 1/2 of the oil was 100% water ,then the milky oil started to come out. He stated that it ran good before he winterized it,BUT ,he did know that he had the same milky oil before he winterized it,didnt have the time to get into it. I would like to know if there is a step by step procedure that would qualify his engine,manifolds,risor,ect to pin point problem or is it a take it apart and have all external manifolds,risors,gaskets, ect. checked before removing heads ,ect? I know its a big question ,just thought if there was a way I would like to see him try it before the later. Thanks for all help Maxum1800

Ayuh,..... Tell yer Bud that he now needs a New motor,....

That 1 now qualifies as an Anchor,...

Clean, check, 'n test the manifolds, 'n such on the bench, while he's waitin' for the New Long Block to arrive,....

maxum1800

Cadet
Re: diag procedure requested 5.7 mercruiser 1985, water in oil

You guys are rough ! Probably right but rough.thanks