Boat Vibrates after lifting out drive while docked and in Neutral

twarner4574

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. I have a question about my out drive. I am new to boating, and I have a 23 ft Wellcraft Nova 23. Motor is a MerCruiser 260 (5.7L). When I lift my out drive while docked or moored, my boat begins to vibrate significantly and make loud rumbling noises. Same thing happens when I turn the wheel hard left or hard right. Any thoughts on this? I'm not sure what out drive I have. Could this be related to the hydraulics? Seems pretty weird that all this happens when I'm not yet under way. While I am under way at a moderate to fast speed, I don't seem to hear it. However, I can't hear much over the engine while we're cruising anyway. Power steering belt feels/looks tight. Pulley wobbles a wee bit, but it does not appear to be significant. I had though that I might have air in the lines, but resiviour is full. ??? Please help!!

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Boat Vibrates after lifting out drive while docked and in Neutral

Never run the engine with the drive all the way up, it must be started at or below the up trim limit switch (if set correctly). What your hearing and feeling is the 2 U-joints banging together. You need to have them looked at and determine if there is any damage. Running the engine with the drive to far up can also damage your boots. What is your engine serial number?

Bondo

Staff member

Hi all. I have a question about my out drive. I am new to boating, and I have a 23 ft Wellcraft Nova 23. Motor is a MerCruiser 260 (5.7L). When I lift my out drive while docked or moored, my boat begins to vibrate significantly and make loud rumbling noises. Same thing happens when I turn the wheel hard left or hard right. Any thoughts on this? I'm not sure what out drive I have. Could this be related to the hydraulics? Seems pretty weird that all this happens when I'm not yet under way. While I am under way at a moderate to fast speed, I don't seem to hear it. However, I can't hear much over the engine while we're cruising anyway. Power steering belt feels/looks tight. Pulley wobbles a wee bit, but it does not appear to be significant. I had though that I might have air in the lines, but resiviour is full. ??? Please help!!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... As AllDodge says, yer Rippin' the u-joints, 'n shafts apart runnin' the drive way Up like that,...

I'm guessin' you've got an Alpha drive,...

It needs to come off for atleast u-joints, 'n the gimbel bearin',... Probably More,...

Everything in the driveline turns with the motor, Only the prop shaft ever sees Neutral,....

twarner4574

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... As AllDodge says, yer Rippin' the u-joints, 'n shafts apart runnin' the drive way Up like that,...

I'm guessin' you've got an Alpha drive,...

It needs to come off for atleast u-joints, 'n the gimbel bearin',... Probably More,...

Everything in the driveline turns with the motor, Only the prop shaft ever sees Neutral,....

Thanks guys. Just to clarify, I don't drive around with the out drive up. I just happened to notice the noise/vibration a couple weeks ago when turning hard left or right with the drive all the way down at about 3 to 5 miles per hour. So, do you think it sounds like maybe the u-joints were just due to be replaced? I have a work order open at my marina to check it out, but I was hoping to maybe fix it on my own...if at all possible.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks guys. Just to clarify, I don't drive around with the out drive up. I just happened to notice the noise/vibration a couple weeks ago when turning hard left or right with the drive all the way down at about 3 to 5 miles per hour. So, do you think it sounds like maybe the u-joints were just due to be replaced? I have a work order open at my marina to check it out, but I was hoping to maybe fix it on my own...if at all possible.

Ayuh,.... The Point is,... Don't even start the motor, with the drive all the way Up,....

Yes, yer U-joints, 'n gimbel bearin' are Shot, 'n need replacin',...

twarner4574

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... The Point is,... Don't even start the motor, with the drive all the way Up,....

Yes, yer U-joints, 'n gimbel bearin' are Shot, 'n need replacin',...

Thanks for the tips guys. Tech looked at the boat and pulled the out drive. Gimble was good, but the U-joints were seized. Previous owner replaced the gimble and bellows, but never dried & greased the U joints. Replaced the U joints and all is well. 8)

alldodge

Staff member

Sounds good glad your up and going