Mercruiser thunderbolt iv failed looking to run mallory help

Hey guys,

1987 sea ray 195/197, 5.0 mercruiser, quadrajet 4barrel carb, thunderbolt iv, alpha outdrive.

My 5.0 lost compression in 2 cylinders last season so i picked up at 5.7 mercruiser block and rebuilt it. Installed a mild xtreme marine cam from comp cams, dropped it in the boat and it ran flawless. After some hours of boating i was stranded on the lake last weekend. Went through the diagnostic tree and eliminated everything and came up with the thunderbolt iv box its self being bad.

So, i'm looking at running the mallory hei kit MAL9-26001 ( IGNITION CONVERSION KIT W/HEI DELCO MALLORY 9-26001 ).
since its hei and i noticed it has different plugs on the distributor do i have to buy a module or a harness to run this on my boat that had the thunderbolt iv?

I also looked at picking the mallory ylm624av instead, ( IGNITION CONVERSION KIT W/MAL DISTRIBUTOR MALLORY 9-26000 )

any help would be great really ready to get back boating! thanks in advance!

Tim

Re: Mercruiser thunderbolt iv failed looking to run mallory help

So don,

if i buy that kit thats everything i need to make it run? Drop that in hook the wiring up and we're off boating?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser thunderbolt iv failed looking to run mallory help

So don,

if i buy that kit thats everything i need to make it run? Drop that in hook the wiring up and we're off boating?

As long as you hook it up like the instructions it will work, and everything is in the kit. The shift interrupt switch will work different and tends to confuse people, but follow the instructions and it should work fine.