888 MC-1 ? need CORRECT stern drive diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arlie

Cadet
Hi, nooby here and I'm having a hell of a time finding the right diagrams for a 1973 murcruiser 888 MC-1 I think. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. STER DRIVE.jpg serial #3607063
This is the best i could find but not exactly the same.Mercruiser-drawing-sterndrive-parts-58-72.jpg The one I have has the big eye hook loop at the top and dosen't have the removable screens. please help. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 888 MC-1 ? need CORRECT stern drive diagrams

What exactly are you looking for.

Arlie

Cadet

When boat is off and in neutral I can here a cluncking sound when the prop is turned by hand. soft noise when turned one way, louder when turned the other way. I removed part of an exhaust flapper that was near the prop. So to the point, going to install impeller kit and try to find noise. Just need a reference so I know how to take it apart and put it back together. First time doing this. First boat for that matter. Getting the right part numbers and knowing what the correct name will be very helpful when I get parts, or if I have question to post. The one that I have will most likely do the trick, but I like the right tool for the job. Thanks for your quick response.

haulnazz15

Captain

Sounds like you need to adjust the shift cable a bit. It is the same procedure for all MC-1 drives (which is what your 888 is, BTW). The clunking sound (probably something like a ratcheting sound) is the clutch/gears trying to engage when they shouldn't be. If you adjust the brass barrels slightly (with the shift plate on the top/rear of the engine), you should be able to adjust out the sound. The procedure with measurements is in the Mercruiser service manual.

Last edited:

Arlie

Cadet

Thanks a lot I will try this. I'll be shocked if I'm that lucky though. Lol. If that indeed is the case can I slightly shift the throttle into forward or reverse just enough that it should stop. Just to check that is the issue? Or would it just be easier to make small adjustments to cable and recheck until corrected. Thanks for reply.

Arlie

Cadet

Don S thank you very much excellent links. You are a unfathomable wealth of knowledge.

Arlie

Cadet

Sorry was just now thinking about it and wondered, IF the cable does need to be adjusted, what would cause this problem? Is this a normal (wear and tear) maintenance issue or should I look for some other causes for this ( cable corrosion and seizing, lubrication of linkage parts, obvious broken parts)? Thanks

haulnazz15

Captain

Could have been out of adjustment for a long time, could be normal stretching of the lower cable. If the cable has stretched too far, it may be outside of the limits to get it to shift within spec. If so, a new lower cable will need to be installed.

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting. In the OP's first post the cavitation plate on the picture is round but the one in the exploded view it squared.
Whats the difference ?

I ask as mine is the same - squared but is the older MC-1 drive.

Squirrel 73

Cadet

Sounds like you need to adjust the shift cable a bit. It is the same procedure for all MC-1 drives (which is what your 888 is, BTW). The clunking sound (probably something like a ratcheting sound) is the clutch/gears trying to engage when they shouldn't be. If you adjust the brass barrels slightly (with the shift plate on the top/rear of the engine), you should be able to adjust out the sound. The procedure with measurements is in the Mercruiser service manual.
I know this is an old thread. Any one know where to get a service manual for the old mc-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.