Fel Pro Marine head gasket set

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm pretty sure this 4.3L 8 bolt intake engine is not the original engine. I'm trying to find a small consistent water leak into my oil. The oil level doesn't go up, but I have chocolate milkshake oil when I change it. I want to install a marine head gasket set in hope of finding and stopping it. Fel Pro only shows 2 different head sets. 1 for balance shaft and the other non balance shaft. My 2001 4.3L # OM060235 is non balance Vortec. The non balance set does not look like the intake gaskets will fit my 8 bolt Vortec intake. Will they work?

steves86ta

Seaman
Re: Fel Pro Marine head gasket set

I'm pretty sure this 4.3L 8 bolt intake engine is not the original engine. I'm trying to find a small consistent water leak into my oil. The oil level doesn't go up, but I have chocolate milkshake oil when I change it. I want to install a marine head gasket set in hope of finding and stopping it. Fel Pro only shows 2 different head sets. 1 for balance shaft and the other non balance shaft. My 2001 4.3L # OM060235 is non balance Vortec. The non balance set does not look like the intake gaskets will fit my 8 bolt Vortec intake. Will they work?

you are looking at two different gasket sets, the intake gaskets will be different if it is vortec vs non vortec. The Head gaskets should be the same. Do the sets that you are looking at include both the intake and head sets?

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, the intake gaskets in the set with the correct valve cover o-ring gaskets and 3 stud seals still look like they fit a 12 bolt intake. Nobody has the set in stock, so I'm just looking at a pic on their computer.

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was unable to find a marine head set offered by Fel Pro for my 1996 Vortec 4.3, with balance shaft. I ended up buying the head gaskets, intake set and valve cover gaskets separately. Fel Pro didn't seem to know about Vortec engines being used in marine applications, so I bought a car intake and valve cover sets. I got:
Fel-Pro 17010 Head Gasket (2) (Marine head gaskets)
Fel-Pro 17921 Valve Cover Gasket Set
Fel-Pro MS95817 Manifold Gasket Set (this is for a car because Fel Pro did not have a marine application for this. I had extra gaskets in this set).

Chris

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The balance shaft came out in '92, 'n yer's most certainly Should be a balance shaft motor,...

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought the balance shaft motor was the early motor.

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ordered the marine head set Fel Pro # 17211 and the intake set MS95817. The individual parts were more than this combination and I'll have a non Vortec intake gasket set for whoever needs it.