mercruiser 888 overheating...air bubbles in water inlet hose from outdrive

Boatch

Cadet
I have a mercruiser 888 (ford302) have cooling issues,raw water cooled,replaced impellar and housing,lower unit shaft seal.....any advice would be greatly appreciated...im stumped at this point?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: mercruiser 888 overheating...air bubbles in water inlet hose from outdrive

No guru here but how do you know your getting air into the inlet cooling hose?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Water pocket cover?

achris

No guru here but how do you know your getting air into the inlet cooling hose?

Common fault-findering trick... Put a section of clear hose in the inlet line....

I have a mercruiser 888 (ford302) have cooling issues,raw water cooled,replaced impellar and housing,lower unit shaft seal.....any advice would be greatly appreciated...im stumped at this point?

Don't know if the air bubbles are a problem or not, but have you checked the thermostat? If not, remove the cover and test it. Also look for rust debris etc. that may be partially blocking a water passage.

Boatch

Cadet

I also checked water pocket cover,looks ok?took out to lake today and at idle no air bubbles,but when I throttle up large amount of air bubbles coming in.....

Boatch

Cadet

I have also checked flow at manifolds in and out=good elbows=good t-stat housing =good no debris....

achris

The cover can 'look' fine, but the gasket leaks, displaying EXACTLY the symptom you have. Pull the drive, split it and pressure test the cover. 10 to 1 on it's leaking....

You'll find that those bubbles are actually exhaust gas.... :D

Chris........

trevtt600

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Had the same issue on my boat last year with both motors. One was the water pocket cover seal, and the other was the seal on top of the water pump housing that slides down the impeller shaft and seals the shaft on top of the housing. It was not completely down on the housing. It could also be a leaking gasket in the impeller housing, or a warped impeller housing base.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

water pocket leaks reduce the flow not produce bubbles.i would drop the lower unit, put the muffs on it and see if the pump base is leaking.the base is the suction side where you would suck bubbles .bubble only appear when the pump is out of the water so to speak.
Under way at speed the cavity only has exaust gas and discharge from the risers.Slow speed the pump is covered by water.

Boatch

Cadet

thanks for tips guys!!! just a FYI I have new impellar and housing and base with gaskets,but I am gonna check all those things tmrw when I pull outdrive...question=what is the best way to pressure test water pocket cover and water pump assembly? thanks again for help...

Boatch

Cadet

ok guys...I did the pressure test on the lower unit and water is pouring out of the base took apart inspected and all looked good?? I think I might have wrong water pump base?Any info would be appreciated...my 888 is a 1972 with the preload pin on top of shaft....

achris

The correct part number for the water pump base in all MC-1 drives from 1970 to 1982 is 46-57234A1...

Chris.......

Boatch

Cadet

thanks for tips...isn't my drive an "R" drive its 1972 outdrive serial # is 3421801....and my water pump base has a 1/8 hole in the front of it.Is that the right base?

achris

R drive started in 1982, not 72.... You have an MC-1....

Boatch

Cadet

Ok,thank U....Do u have any idea about hole on my water pump base?

haulnazz15

Captain

The hole in the water pump base is only needed if you have the motor flush adapter hole on the lower unit. If you don't have that flush hole, you should be using the MC-1/Alpha I water pump base that doesn't have the hole. You may be able to just epoxy over than hole if you have the wrong base, but I'd wait for the someone here to confirm if that's an option.

achris

You need the water pump base for MC-1/R, NOT MR/Alpha One, they are different.

And yes, the hole in the side is for the very old MC-1s with a flush attachment hole in the side of the gear housing.

What is the part number of the base you put in? (and did you use the right gasket?)

Chris.......