1988 Mercruiser 5.0 200 v-8Alpha1 overheat/oil in water/waterpump break/impellar shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lihartke

Cadet
History: I winterized my boat myself(big mistake?) I put 1 gallon of -50 degree antifreeze in ear muff until empty and fogged the carburetor.
Opened boat ran earmuffs checked oil everything ran great- no water seen after searching for it.
Launched boat off pad and BOOM hit something really hard. Took boat for spin and it ran great for 2-3 minutes and then lost power and engine shot up high temp (all the way to top) and wires looked like they were smoking. Heat gauge was at top for at least 2 minutes. Until I shut it off. Father was in boat telling me we were going to go over the falls to keep going back to the dock LOLOL! But I shut it off before it quit or stopped working completely.
Took it to mechanic told him everything. He replaced the waterpump/propeller and (later said he replaced the impeller but never mentioned that part to me.)He ran it for 20 minutes and it ran good.
Picked up "fixed boat" and went on vacation to put boat in dock slip and take it for test run. Ran great for a few minutes I opened her up, plained off and then went immediately back to marina slip. Gauges looked good, acted fine. Stalled once in marina and started right back up. Put her in slip shut her off and heard strange noises coming from engine/water hose area. Heat gauge was still normal but it sounded like metal was cracking and I heard bubbling. Saw water dripping under the engine area into the hull below. 15 drops slowly. Thought it was from rain earlier in day on transport. Shut it off. Next day came down to start engine to test and it didn't sound right I looked at gauges and it got to 180 so I shut it off. Rowed to boat launch LOL!! Took it back to mechanic and he insisted we ran it outside of the water because the new water pump was melted and so was the impeller. He fixed them both and said it was good to go and he ran it for 20 minutes and it ran good. Took it to boat launch and started it and it sounded like crA*. Rough running stalled 3 times at dock shut it off and brought her home. For some reason checked oil and shaft was full of milky cream. Any tip on what to do now would be greatly appreciated. I hate to leave the water in the oil. Can I drain it out and at least coat it with good oil until I get a mechanic to look at it? I'm thinking the head gasket was broke all along and maybe steam got into the engine or maybe it's cracked because I didn't winterize it properly? Or maybe it cracked from the 200 plus degree heat it received for at least 3-5 minutes?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1988 Mercruiser 5.0 200 v-8Alpha1 overheat/oil in water/waterpump break/impellar

Can not actually determine how the problem happened only leand a probablity. Winterizing your self is not a big deal but if you didn't drain everything of water before you put the 1 gallon in this could be a posability. A 5.0 holds much more then 1 gallon of liquid but if everything was drained fist you may get lucky. Running an engine when it is very hot can and usually and does warp the head. So if it was done but a bad winterization is unknown, but a burned up impeller can do it every time.

You can do an oil change and see if water does not show up again, but if it was mine I would be thinking of rebuild or replacement

lihartke

Cadet
Re: 1988 Mercruiser 5.0 200 v-8Alpha1 overheat/oil in water/waterpump break/impellar

Thanks for all the info. Have boat mechanic looking at it today. Not Ted @ Drydock marine in E. Amherst N.Y. though because he refused to believe it was not run out of water or trouble shoot. I asked him to check all the fluids before I took it on vacation. Unfortunately he obviously didn't do that. Later he said, "there was no reason to check it." Really?? I'm no mechanic but overheating engine at top of gauge for 2-5 minutes and you don't check it to see if it's burned? Client tells you oil gauge is "jumping" and you don't check the oil? You tell them it's "normal?" Can't wait to get boat fixed and have a normal steady oil gauge and take it back to him to ask him, to please make it "normal" and "make it jump." Will update the post when the pressure test is done.

lihartke

Cadet

:facepalm:Okay, So it was a cracked block and manifold :( Apparently, the videos I watched on youtube on "winterizing your engine" were not complete because they said nothing about draining anything. Or anything about using more anti-freeze depending on the size of the motor. I am beginning to think they are put there by boat mechanics who want future business!LOL!!! Live and learn. Cannot believe a mechanic actually repaired 2 water pumps and never checked the oil though. Had the engine/manifolds replaced by a Mercruiser certified mechanic and she runs great! Love my 1988 Larson Lazer!! Pretty soon she'll be a classic!
Thanks for all your help!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Just make sure you read up on the correct way to winterize an engine.

lightfoot88

Recruit
I just jumped into an 88 celebrity crownline19' boat with no knowledge of boats other than 25 years of jet skiing and hanging out on Buddy's Rinker for years and being a bodyman /dirt biker/snowmobiler/working on my own stuff. Split cases on several 2 strokes currently in the middle of a 1100 triple Yamaha venture build... May have a little common sense...anyhow bought this boat without water test to get my kids off Xbox...heard new 150hr. 305 run...sounded good and tight. But what should I do now.. I know their are a lot of should haves that I didn't do. But any suggestions would be appreciated before I go to lakes and set myself up for failure if I haven't already.. Or should I just go and see how deep I've gotten myself into

Status
Not open for further replies.