Re: alignment of mercruiser

cccen48

Recruit

Need help myself with alignment: I had the bottom drive replaced and was told the motor needs alignment but still the person put the drive back after installing the lower unit,without alignning the motor. Can I do the alignment without removing the sterndrive, by going to the motor mounts ? If I remove the sterndrive and the Spline tool doesn't goes in as I've seen on the videos, do I make adjustment on the front motor mounts until I'm able to have it parallel with the insertion of the spline tool ? Why the person removed the top section of the sterndrive gets me, as to why remove that section when all I needed was the lower unit.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Taking the drive completely off is the proper way to do that swap. Allows you to actually make sure things work and all lined up before putting it on the boat. Why he didn't align it, I have no idea, you would have to ask him why.

As far as aligning it, of course you have to remove the drive. Only way to use the alignment bar.
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...utdrives/engine-alignment-how-tos-443992.html

cccen48

Recruit

I'm very worried about my boat due to this alignment. First why remove the top unit of the sterndrive if I only needed the bottom gear box, he removed both, perhabs my boats was ok on the alignment ? Should the alignment be part of the job of putting new bottom gear part, noticed it was out of alignment and still put the new gear box and yet not aligned the motor. I think he knew I have to bring it back to dismount again and do the alignment to make more money? I think he wants 500$ to align it when it was off from the get go when replacing the bottom. :(

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm very worried about my boat due to this alignment.

Then pull the drive and align it.

First why remove the top unit of the sterndrive if I only needed the bottom gear box, he removed both, perhabs my boats was ok on the alignment ?

I already explained that. Had you brought the boat to me, I would have pulled the upper as well. After putting the new lower on, I would have also pressure tested it to make sure there was no leaks, and made sure the shift shafts went together properly and the water tube was lined up. Impossible to do with the drive on the boat.

Should the alignment be part of the job of putting new bottom gear part,

Re-Alignment no, checking the alignment yes.
If the alignment is out, then he should have called you 'the customer' and told you. Not just put the drive back on.
Sure it would cost extra to align, it's something that was bad that was found during the repair.

I think he wants 500$ to align it when it was off from the get go when replacing the bottom.
If you don't trust him, why the ell are you using him?
Let me guess, the guy was cheap.

Did you look at the link I posted earlier? You can always do the job yourself and save the hassle.