Trim up problem, 1986 v6 185 Mercruiser.

Britner

Seaman
So the hoses are are in and I have started topping up the oil in the pump. I put some oil in, checking the dipstick then when I got close to full, I tried to raise/lower the outboard with the trim switch, to try and purge out the air. I pushed the trim switch down, heard the noises change etc, though not sure if actually moved. I was not concerned as I know I need more oil in. The problem was, the up switch made no noise at all and did not do anything. The trailer switch did make the noises though.

Is this a similar problem as to the following thread -
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/mercruiser-...ne-613198.html

It was working before changing the lines out. I had to quit for the night as the mosquitos were starting to chew me up! Before quitting I did briefly check for lose connections by hand, in case I knocked them.

I dont see the relays that I have read about. I am also wondering if there are fuses, one for up, one for down? I cant see why it would be this way, but I am new to this.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks and hope you guys had a happy 4th of July.

Andy.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Trim up problem, 1986 v6 185 Mercruiser.

you may have knocked a wire connector apart for the trim limit switch, or the limit switch/wiring has decided it now has enough corrosion to quit working.

TheHunter990

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, that thread describes your most likely problem. Wiring faults near the trim limit switch.

There is a chance that your drive is tilted up more than the limit switch will allow, in which case the up switch is disabled correctly. Make sure you get the drive all the way down, then try the up button.

Britner

Seaman

Thanks for that. Where is the trim/limit switch?
My outboard is in the down position right now.
I would like to maybe switch the relays, but don't know the location.

Just FYI, it's a 1986 SeaRay Seville, 19cc.

Andy

Britner

Seaman

I can see that there are a few similar problems right now and so have read the threads. I still cant grasp this one though!!

TheHunter990

Seaman Apprentice

attachment.php

The trim limit is on the port side (left side standing behind boat, facing boat), trim sensor for gauge on console is on starboard side.

Attachments

• alpha1_large.jpg
    alpha1_large.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0

Britner

Seaman

Thanks again. I will take a look at the trim limit wiring later. I may try and reset the trim limit. I have the manual downloaded and have the instructions.

Thanks again.