Won't Start - Mercruiser 7.4L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

djalexg82

Cadet
What?s up everyone!!

93 Sea Ray Sundancer
Mercruiser Big Block 7.4L V8

Few weeks ago, I noticed that sometimes it takes me a couple of tries to get the boat started, as in I turn the key and nothing is happening, the battery is fully charged. The engine will not even make a sound. After I wiggle or mess around with the control console it would eventually start up, Same thing happens if I shut the engine off someplace for a few hours it won't start back up. So last night I wanted to take some friends out to see the fireworks (haven?t started the boat in 2 weeks) gave it a go nothing, after about an hour of trying I gave it up. I suspect it?s the starter or maybe the control console needs to be replaced since it?s the original one.

Any help would be great guys, if I am missing something just ask and I will post

Thanks

Alex

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Won't Start - Mercruiser 7.4L V8

What’s up everyone!!

93 Sea Ray Sundancer
Mercruiser Big Block 7.4L V8

Few weeks ago, I noticed that sometimes it takes me a couple of tries to get the boat started, as in I turn the key and nothing is happening, the battery is fully charged. The engine will not even make a sound. After I wiggle or mess around with the control console it would eventually start up, Same thing happens if I shut the engine off someplace for a few hours it won't start back up. So last night I wanted to take some friends out to see the fireworks (haven’t started the boat in 2 weeks) gave it a go nothing, after about an hour of trying I gave it up. I suspect it’s the starter or maybe the control console needs to be replaced since it’s the original one.

Any help would be great guys, if I am missing something just ask and I will post

Thanks

Alex

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Have ya checked the battery, the starter, 'n their wirin' for Corrosion,..??

The neutral safety switch in yer controller could be bad, a continuity test will tell ya,...

djalexg82

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Have ya checked the battery, the starter, 'n their wirin' for Corrosion,..??

The neutral safety switch in yer controller could be bad, a continuity test will tell ya,...

Thanks, the battery is fully charged i do suspect the controller as well, going to take it apart after work

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks, the battery is fully charged i do suspect the controller as well, going to take it apart after work

Ayuh,... Meter the wires,... No need to rip everything apart,...

diagrams are in the Adults Only section at the top of the forum,...

djalexg82

Cadet

Ayuh,... Meter the wires,... No need to rip everything apart,...

diagrams are in the Adults Only section at the top of the forum,...

Good Idea, thank you - can't seem to find the adult section though lol

gatorboyz

Recruit
I have a 1998 7.4 bravo start up run out to the sandbar about a one hour drive. Play swim get in and out of the boat for 4 hours go to start will not fire. Get towed as soon as we get home it will fire right up. Changed fuel filter and full tank of gas. Happens 8 out of 10 times and thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.