Do I have any other issues?

dcarver

Seaman Apprentice
I've got the outdrive and gimbal housing off. I didn't expect good things but I was just wondering what y'all thought.
How bad does it look?
I'm replacing the gimbal bearing and bellows, but are there any other major parts that look like they need replacing while I've got it apart?

l98w.jpg

vo6t.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Do I have any other issues?

How do the u-joints feel? Looks like the bellows leaked through there,they are more than likely shot. Change em out along with the lower shift cable,now's the time to do all that,why go through removing it again? Pressure check the drive,make shure it isnt leaking oil,is it clean or milky??
Grub

ziggy

Admiral

I'm replacing the gimbal bearing and bellows, but are there any other major parts that look like they need replacing while I've got it apart?
well, mine looked better than that. and granted i got a mc-1 drive. but, i ended up replacing much more. what ya noted + water hose from gimble housing to bell housing and ujoints and shift shaft and shift cable w/bellows. i also pressure tested the drive and it failed. it needed the ft. seal of the drive replaced + while i was there and my double brgs were blued, they got replaced to.
you've got all the parts on yer genII drive i got. get a factory service manual if ya don't have one. yer likely to need it. check here for an online version. choose the right book by serial number ya have on your drive and engine. #14 for the genII drive.

dcarver

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I'm not sure how the U joints are supposed to feel. Are they supposed to just move freely?
All the bellows will be replaced. The outdrive's oil was a little milky initially, but the drive oil hose was shot so I assumed it was the culprit.
Also I didn't think about pressure testing the drive. Not sure how to do that but I'll search and hopefully find out how
I have been looking at the manual online as indicated by another member and it's been pretty helpful I'd say. A little vague at times but still really useful

NHGuy

Captain

The u-joints should be smooth pivoting and have no looseness or play. I'd just redo them while in there.
To pressurize the drive get a drive oil pump and use the fitting that is for filling the drive. Get a tire valve and turn down the end enough to fit in the drive oil fill tube. Jam it in there and put a band clamp on it. Pump it up to 14 psi and watch for leaks. If you lose psi but can't see where, spray any suspect areas with soapy solution and watch for bubbles.

NHGuy

Captain

The trim position and limit sensors look pretty bad too.

dcarver

Seaman Apprentice

How much and how hard is it to replace U joints?

Yes the trim sensors are bad. Had a band aid fix on them for a while but since I'm in there they will get replaced. There's a lot of corrosion on the wires. Anyway to prevent this for next time?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

There is, you rewire the gauge sensor to read only when the trim button is pushed.Under $10.00 fix. what is this wire?
vo6t_zps0323f794.jpg

dcarver

Seaman Apprentice

I think it's for the speedometer

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Check between 5:00 and 7:00 on the housing .corrosion looks excessive . check to make sure there is something left to tighen the bellows clamp on.

dcarver

Seaman Apprentice

I'll wire brush that down and see. Hopefully just comes right off