Questions about maintaince on 3.0 tks alpha (gimbal bearing, steering system etc)

Dougie1234

Recruit
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to do some of the suggested maintaince to my 3.0 tks alpha (I'm really new and just learning) and I was wondering if someone could please try and answer a couple of questions for me?

1) The manual says to grease the gimbal bearing but when I look at my boat I don't see the grease fitting that it shows in the manual? Could my drive have some sort of perma lube thing that doesn't need to be greased?

2) In the manual it says in order to grease the steering system there has to be a grease fitting on the steering cable, which mine doesn't have, but the next step says to grease the exposed part of the steering cable (which I found) and lubricate the steering pin (which I also found). Even thou I dont have a grease fitting on the steering cable do I still grese the exposed end and the steering pin? (Sorry probablly a dumb question that I think I already know the answer to but I just want to make sure)

3)I bought the special lubricant 101 (which it says to use on the exposed part of the steering cable) but it looks like a thick paste (not like an oil which is what I would describe is already on the exposed part of the steering cable), does this seem right? It won't "gunk it up"?

4) And last but not least, When I am removing the prop the manual says to lastly remove the thrust hub from the prop shaft but I can't seem to get mine off? Does it come off even though it says it does in th manual...do I need to turn it or something to get it off?

I know I'm asking alot here but any help would be greatly appreciated

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Questions about maintaince on 3.0 tks alpha (gimbal bearing, steering system etc)

Not being familure with the TKS I'll only say to number 4 - that if this is a thrust washer it should come off. My comment will move you back up to the top so maybe someone else will be able to assist

Welcome to the forum

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Questions about maintaince on 3.0 tks alpha (gimbal bearing, steering system etc)

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to do some of the suggested maintaince to my 3.0 tks alpha (I'm really new and just learning) and I was wondering if someone could please try and answer a couple of questions for me?

1) The manual says to grease the gimbal bearing but when I look at my boat I don't see the grease fitting that it shows in the manual? Could my drive have some sort of perma lube thing that doesn't need to be greased?

2) In the manual it says in order to grease the steering system there has to be a grease fitting on the steering cable, which mine doesn't have, but the next step says to grease the exposed part of the steering cable (which I found) and lubricate the steering pin (which I also found). Even thou I dont have a grease fitting on the steering cable do I still grese the exposed end and the steering pin? (Sorry probablly a dumb question that I think I already know the answer to but I just want to make sure)

3)I bought the special lubricant 101 (which it says to use on the exposed part of the steering cable) but it looks like a thick paste (not like an oil which is what I would describe is already on the exposed part of the steering cable), does this seem right? It won't "gunk it up"?

4) And last but not least, When I am removing the prop the manual says to lastly remove the thrust hub from the prop shaft but I can't seem to get mine off? Does it come off even though it says it does in th manual...do I need to turn it or something to get it off?

I know I'm asking alot here but any help would be greatly appreciated

Ayuh,.... What Vintage is it,..?? Got the Serial numbers,..??

Tap on the thrust hub, 'n it'll come off,...

Dougie1234

Recruit

the engine # is 1A603280, transom # is 1A188604, drive # is A270899. I tried to get the thrust hub off again just like u said with a little tap it came right off
thanks again

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...I'm trying to do some of the suggested maintaince to my 3.0 tks alpha (I'm really new and just learning) and I was wondering if someone could please try and answer a couple of questions for me?

Welcome to IBOATS; a great place to learn. I myself have only been around about 3 years and learned so much...and still much to learn.

You mentioned "manual" so you are looking at the official Merc. service manual right, not another brand?

Have you already spent some time up in the sticky section? Marvelous and abundant information there Don has assembled including videos (Chris has a few goodies he's done), diagrams, links, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes you can find answers to your questions there but if not, you've probably learned something new before asking a new question.

It's good to also search and learn and watch videos from other websites just remember, the person doing those videos or providing that information may have good intentions but not quite be exactly the best way to do something. Glean information from these various sources and you'll be able to make it through.

Mark