Washed down engine bay now my warning buzzer won't turn off and motor wont start

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey, I've got a 1999 Mercruiser 5.0. I just washed down the engine bay and now my warning buzzer won't shut off when I put the key into position 1. The motor will not even fire at all, just cranks and cranks. Where do I start?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Washed down engine bay now my warning buzzer won't turn off and motor wont start

Leave the engine hatch open and let things dry off for a while. Remove the distributor cap and let it dry out as well. In the sun if possible.

Then after a few hours see if it starts. If there is water in the distributor, might want to blow it out first then let it set.

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Washed down engine bay now my warning buzzer won't turn off and motor wont start

After Drying out in the sun for 2 days I'm still having the same symptoms. Crank, crank, crank. No start. I smell fuel at the carb so that is not the issue here. I think it has to do with the warning buzzer staying on and not turning off. I figured it could be the connections at the oil pressure switch setting off the buzzer so I jumped that with a piece of wire. Still the same thing. What else can trip this buzzer?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Besides washing down the engine, low drive oil, grounded oil pressure, grounded water temp. These are the alarm ones, not the normal engine ones.You dont jump them ,you disconnect the wires from them.

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So when I disconnect them the buzzer should shut off? You would think the buzzer would stay on if they are disconnected

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Figured it out, I Cleaned up the battery connections really good and one of the 2 wires to the Ignition module was disconnected. Thx guys.