1988 Mercruiser 2.5L Alpha...What number Service Manual do I need??

PiperCaper

Recruit
Can someone please tell me what Service Manual I need for a 1988 Mercruiser 2.5L Alpha motor?? Is it #6 or another one....I am new to boating.....Thanks...

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1988 Mercruiser 2.5L Alpha...What number Service Manual do I need??

Woops my mistake, thanks for the catch Don

PiperCaper

Recruit

Thanks for the help on this!!!!!! Being new to boating, great to have this forum to help the rookies along.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you having a problem or just wanting a manual. Those manuals can be tough to understand how to use, but if your having a problem we can probably help you find the section you need, and maybe some advice.

PiperCaper

Recruit

Don thanks for the reply. My father-in-law and I need to change the water pump leg and the thermostat and he wants to get the manual just for reference at this point. But I know I will be back to the forum about this engine as it has been running hot. We are just starting with the parts above to see if it helps the issue.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here are a couple of files I put together from the manual that just puts the manual sections in one spot for a couple of the more common jobs.
You really should pull the complete drive to change the impeller, there is also maintenance (like greasing the coupler splines) that can keep you from having to pull the engine to replace the coupler.

View attachment A1 R&R.pdf View attachment A1 Impeller R&R.pdf

Might also want to visit the stickies at the top of this forum. I'm sure there is information you want for engine and drive in them.

PiperCaper

Recruit

Thanks don!!!!!!!!