3.7 mercruiser 4cylinder coil?

drew2013

Recruit
I have and 88 3.7 mercruiser 4 cylinder and I have been trying to start it and I notice the coil has a water sound when I shake it, is that normal?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 3.7 mercruiser 4cylinder coil?

I have and 88 3.7 mercruiser 4 cylinder and I have been trying to start it and I notice the coil has a water sound when I shake it, is that normal?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I donno, I don't shake my coil,.... Have ya changed the Points yet,..??

I'm guessin' yer lookin' for Spark,..??

cr2k

Captain

Ign coils are packed with oil. If yer hearing it slosh it's probably leaked to the point of needing to be replaced. 2 basic coil types internal resister or external.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Bondo I laughed so hard i spewed beer through my nose at that one. Drew i went out and shook my brand new, in the box spare coil and it did slosh. I think its perfectly normal. Your coil is prob good as far as that goes but you need to slap a volt/ohm meter on it to check everything else.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

My running motor shows 11.65-11.7 (dont know if thats what it is supposed to be but it runs)volts at the pos + side of the coil and 8.95-9.25 at the neg -. Like Bondo says if your looking for spark when was the last time the points and everything else was checked. Do you have a dwell meter? Timing light? I have a spark tester that you put your wire boot on and ground. I think you can do the same thing by pulling a plug and grounding the electrode.

drew2013

Recruit

Also when i jumped the coil with 12 volts the coil got really hot in less then an min.

Bondo

Staff member

Also when i jumped the coil with 12 volts the coil got really hot in less then an min.

Ayuh,....... And,..??..??..??

Is there a Problem,..?? Does it Run,..??

drew2013

Recruit

I haven't got it started, i bought it used and im trying to start it before i put it into the boat. So I shot some starter fluid down the carb and jump started it and when it didn't start i went to check why and i notice the coil was really hot