Engine Removal

Herdfan1221

Cadet
I am removing my 120 HP Mercruiser Inline 4cyl to replace the engine coupler. I would like to unbolt the front motor mount and unbolt the engine from the rear motor mount and just slide it forward. Do I need to worry about unbolting the front motor mount and not being able to re-tighten it down once I am finished. Fist time removing a boat motor.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Engine Removal

remove the drive first. put the helm in fwd. prior to removal or it won't come off.
yer gonna have to pull the drive anyways to get the gimble brg and coupler properly aligned after reinstall of the engine.
Do I need to worry about unbolting the front motor mount and not being able to re-tighten it down once I am finished.
depends on if the wood that the motor mount bolts into is sound or not. i got a spent boat in my backyard. the first sign i was in trouble with it was rotted wood where i wanted to bolt the ft. motor mount down to.
imho, i'd get the proper service manual prior to doing the job. it'll take ya step by step as to what ya need to do. here's a link to some online service manuals. service manuals are applicable by serial number of the engine and drive your working on.