First Merc

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just drug a little houseboat home to SC from Michigan. She appears to be in well maintained shape, but there's a hose missing - presumably from when she was winterized 15 years ago. I know I could do a search, but someone here I'm sure can tell me quickly what hose I need and which engine service manual I should get.
IMAG2485.jpg

IMAG2463.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: First Merc

If that has been setting for 15 years, you have a lot more to worry about than that hose.
What is the serial number of the engine? The tag is in view.

IMAG2485.jpg

jeffnick

Thanks Don. You have been much help to me over in the Volvo forum. It's a comfort to see you here too.
The boat was supposedly one owner. He bought her over 40 years ago. He was a school bus mechanic so maybe he put her to bed properly for the Michigan winters before he passed away.

IMAG2501.jpg

Don S

That serial number puts it in the 1973 year.

After 15 years, I wouldn't even turn the engine over to see if it moved. Pull it out, pull the pan off and see what is in the pan. It is probably not recognizable as oil. Probably closer to something from the black lagoon.
Complete fuel system, tank to carb is probably a mass of varnish. no matter what was done.
Winterizing is a yearly thing to prevent freeze damage, not so much to preserve the engine for 15 years.

Don S

32-47640 is the OEM part number. Seems to be NLA. Better hit google

I sure wouldn't be worried about one hose at this stage, you don't even know if the motor will survive.

jeffnick

Bought a flexible hose and got her running by feeding gas into the carb. Now that I know she'll light up, I'll do the entire fuel system as Don suggests. The drained oil wasn't too bad.

Oh, and I found that hose in a locker. One that was previously stuck closed...there was also parts/repair receipts from 30 years ago.
IMAG2463.jpg