Mercruiser 470 serial numbers

medsq383

Recruit
Okay day one of the start my restoration. Looking at the motor, the plate on the top of the valve cover is hard to read. The serial number on the plate reads 5223054, verified with the plate down by the fly wheel. The stern drive plate also very difficult to read but has serial of 3697042. Looking these numbers up I wasn't able to find anything.
The fiberglass beam that runs bow to stern under the flooring has some de-lamination, will post pictures when I tear more into it, otherwise the beam seems pretty stout still. Is the lamination something to extremely concerned about?
Apparently, the guy that had it before me had a bachelors in Red Greens modification. I will post pictures, waiting for camera to charge.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 470 serial numbers

Looking at the motor, the plate on the top of the valve cover is hard to read. The serial number on the plate reads 5223054, verified with the plate down by the fly wheel. The stern drive plate also very difficult to read but has serial of 3697042. Looking these numbers up I wasn't able to find anything.

What is the year of your boat? That will help "A Little".

Here are the engine serial number ranges for any of the 470 style engines.

attachment.php

The fiberglass beam that runs bow to stern under the flooring has some de-lamination, will post pictures when I tear more into it, otherwise the beam seems pretty stout still. Is the lamination something to extremely concerned about?

That is a question you need to ask over in the Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. That is what they are all about, this forum is for your engine and drive problems.