1978 Mercruiser 140HP no spark from distributor.

gatorG6

Cadet
Hello,
Changed ingnition from points to electronic conversion about 5yrs ago. Boat ran great, slowed to an idle and the engine shut off. Would not start, checked spark and had spark from coil to distrubutor but no spark from distrubutor. Towed in, then started at home ( still didnt like to idle, rough idle), not sure seams intermittent. Any ideas??

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1978 Mercruiser 140HP no spark from distributor.

Hello,
Changed ingnition from points to electronic conversion about 5yrs ago. Boat ran great, slowed to an idle and the engine shut off. Would not start, checked spark and had spark from coil to distrubutor but no spark from distrubutor. Towed in, then started at home ( still didnt like to idle, rough idle), not sure seams intermittent. Any ideas??

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... If That is True, the only things 'tween the 2 points are the Cap, 'n Rotor,...

gatorG6

Cadet

Ya, thanks, thought of that so I changed the rotor and distributor cap. Same issue, Figure there has to be and issue with the electronic ignition itself.

boatdeezy

Cadet

did you get the issue resolved? I have the same problem, getting spark from coil to distributor but, no spark from the plug wires when cracking the engine over.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ya, thanks, thought of that so I changed the rotor and distributor cap. Same issue, Figure there has to be and issue with the electronic ignition itself.

Yeah, that's a problem with the conversion kits. No way to test them.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Yeah that is why I hung on to my distributor plate with the points, It has new points and sits in the glove compartment in a sealed bag LOL.