Alpha One Outdrive alignment

kthkollar

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all. I have removed and reinstalled my 3.0 mercruiser due to broken starter bolts. I was under the assumption that as long as it was out and in, nothing would change and would not have to align motor. I have looked into assembly and spines look perfect. Equal amounts showing all the way round. I would like to put the outdrive on today, to be able to use it for the fourth, just want to ask you fine folks basically how much would the alignment have to be off to cause problems. like I said, visually it is perfect and it was out and in. I changed nothing. But still, would like to be sure. Thank you for any help.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Alpha One Outdrive alignment

The best way us to use an alignment bar. If the drive slides in nice and smooth/no binding,it should be ok for now.
Can you bring it to a marine mechanic and just have em slip in a bar and check? I know most places are rather busy right now but its really the best way to go. You moght want to invest un a bar if ya plan on working on it yourself.
Grub

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I have installed many engines, and I always line it up visually (as you have done) before doing the final adjustment using the correct tool. Most of the time, even if it looks exactly right, it is off a little. And even just taking the engine out and slotting it back in in the 'same place' is enough to move things. The consequence of the alignment being out is that in a very short period of time, you'll be taking the engine out again, to replace the coupler, and possibly the drive yoke too.... And even when the alignment is out, the drive will feel like it slid in perfectly, that's no guide......

Not worth the risk. Either get an alignment bar and do the job correctly, or cancel plans to use the boat before hand.... And yes, one day on the water is enough to cause damage.

Chris........

Bondo

Staff member

Hello all. I have removed and reinstalled my 3.0 mercruiser due to broken starter bolts. I was under the assumption that as long as it was out and in, nothing would change and would not have to align motor. I have looked into assembly and spines look perfect. Equal amounts showing all the way round. I would like to put the outdrive on today, to be able to use it for the fourth, just want to ask you fine folks basically how much would the alignment have to be off to cause problems. like I said, visually it is perfect and it was out and in. I changed nothing. But still, would like to be sure. Thank you for any help.

Ayuh,.... Just the process of removin', 'n installin' the motor moves things,....

You can Check the alignment or not,...
If it's off, chances are you'll get yet another chance at pullin' the motor, to change out the coupler in short order,...

kthkollar

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... Just the process of removin', 'n installin' the motor moves things,....

You can Check the alignment or not,...
If it's off, chances are you'll get yet another chance at pullin' the motor, to change out the coupler in short order,...

Thanks all. Alignment bar is on its way. Was told it would be here by wed.