Aplha GenII - can't seem to get the shift cable to shift into forward gear

AZ-boating

Recruit
I have a 1997 searay with a 5.7L thunderbolt merc engine and a alpha gen II outdrive. I removed the outdrive and bell housing to replace all bellows. While I had it apart I also removed the shift cable fitting (using the special tool) at the bell housing. I removed the entire housing and cleaned everything up. I also drained the old gear lube from the lower unit and replaced the impeller.

I reassembled the lower unit to the upper unit. I replaced the face seal and used the face seal tool for setting proper height. I installed all three new bellows and water tube. I also replaced the trim limit sensors.

I then assembled the outdrive to the bellhousing and secured the six nuts on the outdrive. When I attached the outdrive to the bellhousing, I set the shift cable arm on the bell housing to be straight (12:00 position) along with the shift arm on the outdrive so they mate when attached. So now that it's all together I am ready to adjust the shift cable. I didn't touch the control cable at all so I left that alone and figued there are no adjustments needed.

I assembled the end of the shift cable at the engine area as it belongs with the threaded shaft and plastic cable sled. When I pull the cable sled out (reverse) and check the prop it locks in the CW and rachits in the CCW. so far I think its good. Now I slightly push the cable sled in and find neutral and check the prop and it spins freely both directions. Great!!! One more to go. Now when I push the cable end in all the way to the forward direction it won't go all the way. It stops about 1" (it measures 7" from center of barrel to center of mounting hole) from where it should be. I believe my research shows this is to be set to 6" not 7". I tried this several times....the cable still won't go all the way in.

So, I took the outdrive off again to check what's going on and to see if the cable is getting hung up on something. Nothing! The shifter arm on the bellhousing seems to slide back and forth ok. I even put some grease on the joints. I even removed the cable and applied grease to it and slid it back through the cable housing thinking that it might some friction in the cable. There are no signs of corrosion inside the cable and it looks brand newish. I tried shifting the lever on the lower unit and that works fine. The prop locks properly in both forward and reverse. So I assembled it again and dang it! It still gets stuck. It needs to travel 1" more for the forward gear to engage.

Now thinking back......I did make a mistake when I removed the outdrive the very first time. I forgot to put the shift lever in the forward position and didn't realize this to after removing the outdrive. Afterwards when I realized what I did I checked everything and nothing shows signs of being bent or damaged.....I think its all good.....?

What can be causing the cable not to travel the additional 1" to complete getting it in forward gear.......? I am stumped. Any suggestions or guidance would greatly be appreciated as I have also been a DIY guy. I am hoping that I don't have to bring this to the boat mechanics.........and that its only a simple adjustment to make it all work.

Thanks,
the newbee DIY boat mechanic.....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Aplha GenII - can't seem to get the shift cable to shift into forward gear

Assuming that you did not damage something when you removed the outdrive, there are only two things that normally go wrong with the instillation on a gen II. Either the roller on the underside of the upper shift shaft lever has slipped out from between the two arms on the shift slide on the end of the shift cable (the roller is behind the aft arm), or the lower shift shaft came out of the shift crank in the lower and went back in "off a spline". Turn the lower shift shaft all the way clockwise. Does it point straight ahead, and does the prop lock when you turn it CCW? What I suspect happened is that you may have bent the bottom of the upper shift shaft when you removed the outdrive, check the the bottom on the uss. Is it pointed straight ahead when the control is in forward?