timing issues

clasavi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1998 Mercruiser 350 EFI MPI
Engine Serial OL067176
Sterndrive OL153367

I have set the timing at 8 degrees from TDC. Getting the following symptoms: slow out of the hole from WOT and top RPM's are 4900. When I forced advanced the distributor cap about an inch (on the water, with no timing light), the boat was able to get out of the hole quickly and top RPM's were 5200-5500, but it was running a little rough. Is it possible that the mechanic could have installed the distributor shaft in the wrong position - perhaps 2 or 3 degrees off?

Is there possibility of error when putting in the distributor shaft, even if the engine is TDC? Is it possible that the mechanic did not set TDC correctly and if not, would the boat even run at all, or can I assume that TDC is correct?

Note: The mechanic did not set the timing correctly originally, which is why I adjusted it on the water, and then again with the timing light. I marked the mechanics placement, my forced advanced placement, and the results of later using the timing light - which resulted in three different markings.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: timing issues

what type of ign system, TB V needs to be in base mode