Reviving Mercruiser 3.0 Starter Problem

Newbie here trying to use all the previous good advice posted here, but still having a problem with reviving my 1997 Mercruiser 3.0 LX. Some specifics for the experts to start off with:
Engine Serial Number: OK195157
Transom Serial Number: OK235060
Stern Drive Serial Number: OK253071

This boat has been sitting idle for about 2 years. At first I thought I just had a starter/slave solenoid problem. I replaced both with brand new hardware and all I'm getting is a click at the starter solenoid. I've run the diagnostic check with a probe light and everything appears to be lighting up correctly when the switch is turned. I have a brand new battery that's fully charged, so that's not an issue either. So after reading on this forum for a while, I figured I had a frozen motor. Pulled the plugs and attempted to turn the pulley on the alternator. No Joy. Slipped. So I squirted some PB Blaster down in the cylinders to break them free. After a day or two, I can now turn the pulley on the alternator and get SOME movement with about maybe 5 foot-lbs of torque applied at the pulley. More than I would expect and based on what I'm reading, probably still a little gummed up. I can get about a 1/4 turn and then it gets harder again. I'm assuming this is probably where the rings were seated frozen for so long. I've tried bumping the starter without the plugs in now and still no Joy. Reading further, I saw the advice to remove the outdrive to eliminate a problem there. Removed it and it seems to be fine. Tried starter once more without outdrive, nothing but Clicks still. I"m hesitant to jump across the starter solenoid with a screw driver, hate the sparks...I'm a mechanical engineer....sparks and I are NOT friends! :eek: But I will try that if someone thinks that my problem is still electrical. I've hooked up the charger to the battery that has a 50Amp starter help and that didn't seem to make any difference. Still the same "Click" with the Volt meter on the dash reading about 15 Volts and dropping back under load to about 12 or 13. Without plugs, I would have thought the starter would have been strong enough to at least begin to turn over the engine based on my ability to turn it by hand at about 5 foot-lbs (my best guess on the torque value). Can anyone give me some advice on where to go from here?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reviving Mercruiser 3.0 Starter Problem

might have bad battery cables or cable connections at the block and starter.soft click is the slave, crunch is the starter solenoid.
You need a good current connection not a voltage connection.
This test will spark so.........
Short the starter main cable lug to small lug closest to engine, start should spin. no spin is cables/ connections, starter, starter solenoid.
remove pos connection from starter, touch to engine block. should get a fat spark.Pos cable is good. No spark or very weak spark pos cable/connection is bad or neg connection is bad.. Take neg cable off block ,touch to pos cable end .should get a fat spark. No fat spark= a poor connection.

94fwfreedom

Cadet
Re: Reviving Mercruiser 3.0 Starter Problem

My boat had the same symptoms. Previous owner put new starter on, and the boat sat for several years. Turned the key and I just heard a click. It was not the solenoid, but rather the starter trying to engage the small gear. The main starter motor was frozen (rusted) solid. Pulled starter and rust was falling out! New starter, and all is well.

Good luck.