Water in engine oil. Merc 3.0

halcrimm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here we go again,
Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha 1 Gen 2 I/O.
S/N OD714746 Engine
S/N OD671270 Transom
S/N OD665768 Drive

After many hours of learning and repairing with your help I finally have the boat ready to go in the water. I just had one thing left to do before my first water test. Change the oil. I had checked the dipstick while making repairs and it looked okay. Today I pumped out all the oil after running engine for 10-15 minutes and found the oil to look like coffee. You know, the kind with cream. Now I do not know what to do. Researching on here and other forums I believe the choices are, head gasket, cracked block, manifold, maybe...

I don't know how to do a pressure test. I looked in the stickies and did not see a procedure. Hopefully, I missed it and you can point me in the right direction.

I am starting to get the kid pouty face from kids and wife about the amount of time I am on the boat with out them. All your help is greatly appreciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Water in engine oil. Merc 3.0

Yea, looks like you will be lower expectations for the family, unless you can make short work of this.

I would do a cooling system pressure check to see if you hear any leaks within the engine. You will have to block off the water entry and exit point for the engine You might have to make some sort of end caps and just put them in place of the water intake hose and the exhaust hose/coupling tube.

If you have a closed cooling system, then it is even easier.

This was all good and working last year, right? Winterized good?

Let us know what you find.