Pulled off my MC-1 today. Need some advise

LastCall1983

Seaman
I pulled off my MC-1 today and there is alot of what looks like salt buildup in the water passages of the bell housing and it just looks corroded in general. I'll attach pics.

Do i need to sand blast the bell housing and repaint, or does the inside really matter as long as all of the loose stuff is cleaned off its clean enough for the seals? also can i flush the outdrive while it is off of the boat or do i have to wait until it's all attached?

I'm taking it of because the shift cable wouldn't move. I haven't checked out the outdrive yet to see if it will move since the cable has been took off.. I had to cut the cable between the bellhousing and the outdrive because it wouldn't come apart until i cut the cable.

IMG_20130630_120822_637.jpgResizedImage_1372614352397.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pulled off my MC-1 today. Need some advise

Thats because your taking on water .notice how much more material is around the water "O" ring.
mcshift.jpg

LastCall1983

Seaman

Thats what i was afraid of. I bought the boat as a project boat. Guy said it's been parked a few years because the carb was giving him trouble and he didn't have the time or money to fool with it anymore.

I originally thought it was the shift cable that was frozen up, but i can't get the shift lever to move. Should i be able to pull it by hand in the outdrive and it move, or do i have to do something special like spin the propeller shaft to get it to disengage? Is it possible the shift linkage is frozen up since water was getting in?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

with the drive off all you need is 2 fingers